NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

Purging into an exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 10:26 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it will blow stuff up why is it posted on the bottle non-flammable? or are you just saying it will make any lingering un-used fuel more likely to ignite in the exhaust rather than the nitrous itself? it seems clear to me that the fast-n-furious nos explosion seems unlikely because the gas itself isnt flammable but i dont know THAT much about nitorus and its chemical properties, just what the sticker says
Old 04-21-2006, 04:55 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
if it will blow stuff up why is it posted on the bottle non-flammable? or are you just saying it will make any lingering un-used fuel more likely to ignite in the exhaust rather than the nitrous itself? it seems clear to me that the fast-n-furious nos explosion seems unlikely because the gas itself isnt flammable but i dont know THAT much about nitorus and its chemical properties, just what the sticker says
Oh nitrous explosions happen, believe it. I've seen an intake manifold blown completely off of a big block where the only thing holding it to the car was the -12 AN hose! I've also seen a guy hit the "spray" button while the car was off, (1990 Mustang w/ stock air box) and when he started it up it lifted the hood off of the passenger side hinge. So believe it, it can happen. As for the original question, I don't see why you couldn't do it, but not sure why you would want to. I don't run a purge line on mine, I purge mine right in the motor. After the burnout, with the system armed, I rev. the motor up to around 3000 or so and "gently" hit the button. This is only on a 100 shot, but plenty of Pro Mod and Outlaw Pro Street racers bang it in the motor as well. I just think its embarassing to purge nitrous all up the windshield and then only be able to knock off a mid 13 second pass. I'm sure other people will be running and do run much faster, but I'm ashamed.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

badmofo i was told that doing it in the motor is harder on the bearings and connecting rod with the fast ramp up then down a few times
Old 04-21-2006, 09:36 AM

as for me, i do like the idea of a hidden purge, its clever and it seems like it would work. go for it
Old 04-21-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would think if you put it farther back in the tail pipe you would be ok
Old 04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

you put it too far back and youll see it coming out the exhaust!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I personally like to see the purge to make sure that the line is free and clear of any debris. Plus the wiring is wound in with my other noids, so I know that if the purge doesn't happen, I will probably not have juice to the other noids. If its in the exhaust, and you can actually hear it purge, the competition can most likely here it purge as well. The stealth factor would then be useless. I personally know I would never hear the purge with the cutouts open on my truck and it in the exhaust system.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flyer
And if there are no catalytic converters? Would that make your post null and void?
Nope. You still have superheated unburnt fuel in the exhaust with out cats. This is just gonna cause one helluva backfire. I wouldn't want to ruin an aftermarket exhaust this way. I personally prefer through the motor, during the burnout.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:55 AM

this is probably a stupid idea but couldnt you just purge it under the hood? im guessing if the answer is no its because you could freeze all sorts of things but why not just leave the noid open the purge it under the hood?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cuz you can still hear it...
I saw a homemade nitrous purge silencer on ebay a few years back. It was basically a 12 oz nitrous bottle- The nitrous would leave the purge and fill the little bottle, and after a race er whatever, it had a petcock to release the pressure..
Seemed like it would work, but I sure as hell wouldnt buy it..

Quick Reply: Purging into an exhaust pipe