NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

Nitrous spark plug info

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Nitrous spark plug info

So with my recent changes and wanting to run a healthy dose of nitrous, I started doing some research on spark plugs. Surprisingly, there is absolutely no info here besides; run TR6's. I got a buddy who does a lot of tuning on very high horsepower race cars using nitrous and the different forms of boost who kept saying it just doesn't make since that people recommend using a projected tip plug for this.

So I called NGK. I told the guy my plans and we discussed spark plugs. He said, "I'll put it to ya like this partner. Using a projected tip plug with nitrous is like sticking your arm in a fire, you're gonna get burned." I kinda laughed, but it made since. He was pretty amazed at the fact that so many people use and recommend the tr6 plug for use with nitrous and boost. The guy was very helpful and gave me a list of non projected tip plugs to use with out motors

For those of you who want a 6 heat range plug
BR6EF part #3177

BR7EF part #3346
B8EFS part #1049
B9EFS part #1085

Now for those who are thinking this guy is just trying to make the company more money by selling me a more expensive plug, not the case. These are the same price as a good ol tr55 or tr6. I've been driving around on the br7ef for a few days now and notice no ill effects, no bad gas mileage, no performance loss, just piece of mind. You can pick these up at your local parts store or I noticed our sponsor Nitrous Outlet has them as well. Just thought I'd share.

Maybe we'll get some input for a sponsor on this???
Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the br8 plugs and have ran about 4 bottles on my 200 shot and so far everything seems fine.So I agree these are great nitrous plugs.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, no doubt they're a good plug for nitrous. They're a non-projected tip. I'd just like to know why so many people use and recommend the tr6. I just wonder how many failures they've caused. I wonder what the breaking point is of the projected tip. I mean, I've prolly run atleast 50 bottles on tr6 plugs and other people have too...
Old 11-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my guess would be one person said they were a good plug and it just spread from there.Although before this post I also thought they were a good nitrous plug.As far as how many failures they've caused I've never heard of one.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

I haven't either, but how many people would actually think of that as the culprit?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as there is no detonation and the heat range is within reason, I don't see how it would matter too much. Most guys running nitrous probably change plugs often enough that the plugs should be alright, projected or not.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

But how much research have you actually done on running nitrous? If theres a better option for the same money, why would you not do it? The non-projected tip helps to keep away from detonation
Old 11-22-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quik broke these spark plugs down in steps as i progressed with nitrous, he basically told me the samething that the seller or tech for NGK told you, ive learned a few things in the short time about nitrous and my own build, oxygen,fueling and timing ( spark) has alot to do how a truck/car runs on nitrous, thus reading the plugs and doing it thorough ( even cutting the threads off ) to read the ceramic, ( thanks wheately ) <-- guy knows alot about spark plug reading tells the tale about whats going on in the combustion chamber, it can make you or break you. i have also seen ( last weekend ) reducing timing could be just as efficient as advancing timing. though i still have alot to learn about nitrous your fuel of choice also comes into play..

i'll leave the past alone and start looking into the future
Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom
But how much research have you actually done on running nitrous? If theres a better option for the same money, why would you not do it? The non-projected tip helps to keep away from detonation
I'm all for running the best plug, and I'm sure it is better to run a plug that isn't projected. Just saying that it might not be as critical as the tech support guy made it out to be.

As with anything, it doesn't matter how much research goes into something, you can't argue with results, and people have great results with TR6 plugs.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by skeet
quik broke these spark plugs down in steps as i progressed with nitrous, he basically told me the samething that the seller or tech for NGK told you, ive learned a few things in the short time about nitrous and my own build, oxygen,fueling and timing ( spark) has alot to do how a truck/car runs on nitrous, thus reading the plugs and doing it thorough ( even cutting the threads off ) to read the ceramic, ( thanks wheately ) <-- guy knows alot about spark plug reading tells the tale about whats going on in the combustion chamber, it can make you or break you. i have also seen ( last weekend ) reducing timing could be just as efficient as advancing timing. though i still have alot to learn about nitrous your fuel of choice also comes into play..

i'll leave the past alone and start looking into the future
Yeah most definitely. Having the right plug is only part of the equation. Being able to read the plug is very important. Being able to tell where the fuel ring is, where the timing mark is on the strap etc etc...

Probably for most people here the tr6 has worked and will continue to work fine. I plan to run up to a .082 jet(~250)so I want my stuff to be in order, so I did some research. Thats why I made this thread to tell people what I have found out to hopefully help people that may take the same road as myself

Quick Reply: Nitrous spark plug info