New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

New member, '00 5.3 Tahoe, turbo build questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, '00 5.3 Tahoe, turbo build questions

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Picked up my first LS based vehicle a few weeks ago, it's a 2000 Tahoe LS with the 5.3 for $1700. Truck has just under 240k on it but runs great and at some point has had a reman trans installed. Picked up the Tahoe to be a drag project, as well as a at least decently reliable daily driver. I want to go turbo, but want to know what everyone would suggest in addition to what I already have planned.

I plan to keep the bottom end stock, as I don't intend to be making insane power, maybe the mid 600 range at the crank, and from what I've seen it seems the stock bottom end would be fine for that. I plan on doing ARP headstuds, LS9 head gaskets, PAC 1218 springs, and a turbo cam(undecided on a specific cam as of yet) at the very least as supporting mods for the turbo. I also plan to do a 4l80e conversion as it seems that's the more cost effective option.

These are the questions I have as of now, and any suggestions are appreciated keeping in mind that this will be a pretty budget oriented build. (I am currently searching the forum for answers to some of these, but figured I'd put them in here as well in case anyone has an answer that's not easily found through searching).

- should I pull the motor and do a rebuild on it before going turbo, or just do a compression and leakdown test and see what numbers I get first since the motor seems to be healthy?
- bolt on turbo kit, or piece by piece? What's easier on the wallet while keeping quality parts? Any bolt on kits that would not require modifying the AC system?
- recommendations on specific turbos, looking for around mid 600 at the crank(hoping to be enough to get into the 12s)? Would like to stay away from no name chargers.
- built 4l80e, or just shift kit? What would be the most reliable?
- what is recommended as far as getting the fuel needed? Any specific fuel pumps and or injectors that are better for this power range?
- torque converter recommendations? Want something that will work well at the track but not eliminate the ability to daily drive the truck, including highway driving up to 80-85 sustained cruising.
- as this is a 4wd truck, would the stock T-case handle this kind of power if I wanted to use 4wd to get the power to the ground at the track? Any issues with the front ends of Tahoes like they have with Duramaxes(i.e busting tie rods), and if so, are there any places to purchase upgraded parts to prevent those issues?

I might have more questions in the future, but I think these cover most of it for now.

Thanks!

Dylan
Old 08-08-2018, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Opening the engine is up to you, if it's solid just run it in my opinion.

Trick Turbo or KB racing both offer great bolt on kits with no real hassles at all. Faster than piecing stuff together if you can't fab stuff.

Stock 80e with shift kit would do 500whp without a care.

80lb/hr on pump gas should be okay. A single walbro 450lph pump.

Torque converter can depend on camshaft.

Lots of guys run the stock T-case. Front end could still break a tie rod on a hard 4X4 launch.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

2002 5.3 Tahoe owner chiming in.

-Cognito makes great parts if you can afford them. I use Moog everything, and I have I think a bit over 50k on my front end with 33s, but I have some problems still, maybe unrelated to the parts. Sleeve the tie rods at minimum
-I would 10/10 swap out the 246 for a 241. The 246 has a clutch for the front shaft, can wear. They are also known for pump rub, but at 240k, I would assume yours is sleeved or replaced. I'd still 241 it, gears over clutches all day. The 8.25" front end is ok, but maybe keep it in the back of your mind it might break on you.
-600hp to the ground in the Tahoe will get you into the 13s, maybe 12.99. We are too heavy to be competitive racers, but itll be damn fun
-Scrap the 10 bolt. There are more opinions than stars in the sky; but my opinion is the 10b is trash. Do a 9.5" SF from a 6.2 SUV/Avalanche. I have the H2 rear end in mine, but its an 8 lug axle. There are 6 lug 9.5s out there
-Regear it to 4.56 to get it off the line better, especially with the 4L80
-Trick Turbo is my pick for turbo parts. I like his manifolds the most.
-Water to air cool it, easier packaging, better performance
-E fans are a must IMO
-Speed Density is a must, unless you do a Gen IV maf swap. Gen3 MAF is done at 400ish whp
-lowering the truck will improve anti squat and get it to hook better
-replace the rear links with solid ones
-I think 240k is fine. Add some vented valve covers, rings are already gapped lol

good luck. I'd really like to see this happen. I love Tahoes, especially fast(er) ones.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome ..5.3 tahoe guy here in ga
Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 PM

New to the group and Didn’t know how to make post lol so I have a turbo 5.3 and blew my 4l60 had a circle d stall in it but I just swapped a 4l80 into the 5.3 and kept stock converter because not enough funds to buy new one would this affect and make my truck feel like a dog / slower?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Maybe.

Or you have a poor gear/tire choice with the really really long 1st and 2nd gears that the 4L80e has.

Hit it with another 5-10psi, I'm sure it'll pick up a little better.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 PM

Well right now it’s on 9.5 psi making close to 500 who but hat was on the 4l60 tune with a 34oo circle d converter now I’m wondering if with the new 4l80 and stock converter how will it react? Will it feel slower? Cause with the 4l60 felt really good and fast
Old 04-19-2019, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

It should feel like a total dog going to the 4l80 with stock converter. A converter change in your future and you'll be good again.