New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

5.3l build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3l build

Ok long story short I got screwed out of a bunch of money so I didn't get to buy my 560hp 383 stoker.. so I decide to rebuild my 5.3l lm7 out of my 02 silverado ext cab. I've lowered it a bit just to lvl it. I've put in a powertrax grip pro limited slip posi w/ 4.10 gears. I've already bought a stage 4 rebuild kit with .625/.625 cam 7.4 hardened rods .625 beehive springs 60 lb injectors an edge cts 3 programmer ls1 rockers with upgraded trunion kit all new gaskets electric exhaust cut outs and as we speak I'm getting ready to go drop off the heads and block to be cleaned and for the heads to be worked and reassembled. I want to upgrade my intake to the 92mm fitech multiport injection intake with Trans control and then twin turbo it. Any suggestions on a stall converter as well as turbos and whether or not to stay with the 3.622 stoke or jump up to the 4". I also have msd ignition coils to put on. But I feel like I've just bought a bunch of expensive stuff in a rush since I got screwed and didn't plan this out well at all... so any input that can help straighten this out would be more than appreciated!
Old 01-19-2021, 11:09 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Maybe a link to the rebuild kit or a brake down of the parts. Is that the Howards or Lunati camshaft? That programmer will not not be able to tune a high horsepower build like that. If you are going to use it for the gauge functions only... maybe keep it. I saw on their site the optional data logging module is $700 plus! The MSD coils are nice looking but not necessary that's $500 that could go to something else. Returning those two items alone could get you a dyno tune and with some extra to go towards HP Tuners. With HP Tuners you can actually data log and change any parameters needed such as gear ratios, tire size changes, control e-fans, adjust fueling, timing and spark, crank relearn, IAC counts etc. The 7.4 pushrods may not be the correct length after head work and head gasket thickness. If not those will sell easily with a small loss. What about transmission? The old tired 4L60 won't last long and may take out a new converter when it goes.

Looks like you have a plan that needs just a bit of sorting out.
The following users liked this post:
ajm6872 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Get rid of that cst programmer and have it professionally tuned using HPTuners or EFILive.
ajm6872 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 05:56 PM

If it doesnt enlarge to view clearly let me know and ill post individually. And the programmer does allow for re-gearing, changing shift points, boost (once installed) as well as everything else except i havent found a way to account for the new 60 lb injectors. Returning is an option if i want to take a loss of half the listed price not the final price that includes taxes. I was pissed after i opened it started to update it and found that it is using the same program as my flashcal flashpaq from superchips... more option but not enough to justify the price paid... and after arguing with them like I said I'd only get half the listed price back. As for the msd coils those are fully refundable so what would be a wise replacement?
Old 01-19-2021, 06:00 PM

As for the transmission I snapped the upper section off my bellhousing. Yes it's fixable but my wife doesn't know that lmao. So yes a 4l80 will be replacing the tired 4l60
Old 01-19-2021, 06:09 PM

I meant to ask if you could post a link to the suggested hp programmer? The 7.4 rods were suggested by the people I bought the rebuild kit from. I didn't buy the rods from them but that's what I was referred to. So admittingly this spurratic not planned out rebuild needs revised for sure.. I'd like to have the end product be a twin turboed beast that will be driven daily .. I welcome and appreciate any and all help!
Old 01-19-2021, 06:44 PM

This is the intake im planning on buying unless theres a better option.. i didnt check but the 92mm is the one i was gonna go with this one is rated for 500 hp .. id like to need the 700 hp version if i can afford the necessary items to get me there
Old 01-19-2021, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

You need to do way more research before just blinding buying parts.

MSD coils are just a waste of money, stock coil packs will do 800-1000HP any day and people do it all the time.

Why do you want to run that FI intake with computer/transmission control when you already have a stock computer that controls everything for you?

You do realize that you will lose every other function in your truck if you install an aftermarket computer system. The factory computer if tuned by a good tuner can support boost and transmission control for a 4L60e and a 4L80e transmission.

The factory intake manifold will make more power than you are wanting to make. If they doesn't work for you just put the intake manifold with throttle body from somewhere else without all the wiring stuff.

Google HP Tuners or EFI Live, it's not that hard. Any CTS, superchips etc etc handheld tuner is junk for something like this.

Good luck with the build, hopefully you spend the rest of your money wisely.
ajm6872 (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 01:50 AM

Like I said it was a last minute scramble thing.. I have no problem sending the coils back.. As for the tuner half back is better than nothing. Who would you recomend I send my computer to for tuning? There's not anyone available in my area that does that type of thing.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:21 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by ajm6872
Like I said it was a last minute scramble thing.. I have no problem sending the coils back.. As for the tuner half back is better than nothing. Who would you recomend I send my computer to for tuning? There's not anyone available in my area that does that type of thing.
Why not tune it yourself? You'll need HP Tuners along with a wideband gauge such as the AEM 30-0300 X series and some help navigating the learning curve. I learned most of my knowledge from Kyle Crawford's Youtube channel "Goat Rope Garage" tuning tutorials. It seems difficult at first the you have that "ha hah" moment and things start to fall in place. The GEN 3 stuff is much easier than the newer 4 or 5.

Scroll down to the tuning playlists in the link (after watching these two videos)

https://goatropegarage.com/

01FormulaTA (01-20-2021)

Quick Reply: 5.3l build