Military Truckers For the Armed Forces members of PerformanceTrucks!

enlisted into the Marine Corps today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default enlisted into the Marine Corps today.

Long story, I DEP in right after high school back in 2006. 2 weeks out from my ship date a drunk driver came across the yellow line and hit me head on. Needless to say i was medically DQ'd from military service. I shattered my right foot in the accident and the ER wanted to amputate my knee down because they were worried about small bone fragments that were imbedded in my muscles. That was just not an option for me. I told them to cast me up and i would get a second opinion. I went to the head sports orthopedic surgeon for K-State. And he said he could "try" but it wouldn't be cheap. I went ahead with the operation, it took multiple times to get all the fragments out. All n all I spent 11 months with a broken foot. "They told me i would still be able to walk, but probably never be able to run again" for the first year I literally tore myself apart fighting to get full range of motion in my foot again and conditioning for running. About 32 or so months after the time of the accident I clicked off my first 1.5 mile run. A screaming 19 min. Although horrible, I just don't have any quit in me. (Jumping ahead, I clicked off a 4.25 mile run in 29.20 min. With 2 really steep hills....

That was just 1. Thing that held me back from re-enlisting....

I started planning to try to re-enlist. Just after trying to get the ball rolling with a new recruiter, bam! I come home to an email from a ex girlfriend that i haven't seen/herd from in over a year. And she chooses now to tell me that she had a child and figured out that it wasn't her current boyfriends and she thinks its mine. After doing a DNA test its true, I was the father to this 4 month old little girl. Planning on "doing the right thing" I started making the 1 hour drive after work everyday to see my daughter till it was bed time for her. This lasted for about 3 weeks then one day I come to the door and another guy opens the door and asks me who I am and what I want... short story, this was the new boyfriend and the mother of my child wants to raise my daughter believing that this guy is dad. After a long drawn out matter I agree.... so now I have a dependent. This is #2. Things holding me back.

Oh... my high school completely screwed me over and wrote me down as failing 3 classes and not being a high school grad? Ok. Went and got my GED asap but I still needed 15 college credits. So i took 2 semesters of college while working 2 full time jobs. -wow glad that's over.

By this time, its time for the recruiter I was working with to get rotated out. -oh... alot of my paperwork was misplaced in the transition? Only one more challenge. This process took its toll on me. Every week there was some form I needed to track down or fill out. Towards the middle of all this I kinda da let myself go a bit. Got all the way up to 249lbs somehow. So it was also hardcore PT time. I am now down to 208 lbs at 72 inches tall.

There is much much more to this story that someday I should probably write a book...

But after all the fighting and struggling, never giving up... I just came to the Kansas City MEPS and the docs were in my favor now with 4+years no problems whatsoever with my foot. I swore in and signed my contract today for the United States Marine Corps. My official ship date to MCRD San Diego is September 27th. As I'm sitting here at the MEPS waiting for my shuttle home I just had to share with someone. I couldn't be more proud.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow man what a story and Goodluck to you.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay in shape, so it will not be as hard physically in basic. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Took my IST today and got 9 pull ups, 100 sit ups and a 11.14 1.5 mile. My goal is to get to 15 pull ups, 120 sit ups "I know everything past 100 is extra. And down to a <22 min 3 mile. I'm at 24 min now. And i love throwing my ILBE pac on and going for a 10 mile Ruck at least once a month.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

******* Bravo man. the Corps needs more men with your kind of drive and determination. I got out the beginning of 08 and have had ups and downs since and actually almost went back in. I left headed for MCRD San Diego 14 days after I graduated high school in 02 and never looked back.

I left at the exact same stats as you. 72" 208lbs after losing some, and I did 4 pulls and about 80 crunches. I graduated 3 months later (after gaining weight in 3rd phase) at 149lbs.... I got back on the weights and ate well and gained back up to 205ish and stayed for my time in.

I'll tell you this, form your own opinions and dont let the old shitbags rub off. You can go as far or be as big of a turd as you want, that will directly affect your enlistment experience.

I like hearing stories like yours, its great to know there's guys like you watching my back.

Semper Fi.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on getting in, is that old guy with the eye patch still doing the eye exams I remember going through meps in kc at the old building 8 years ago good luck with your career I did 7 years army, met alote of marines when I was in iraq your gonna have fun while your in with the dedication you put into getting in stay like that you will be on the fast track to promotions. Good luck
Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats! Did 4 in the corps myself 02-06. Loved it and they even issued me a wife!! Ben, what's up f$&k nuts!?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Buckley you sonofabitch!! I got your PM man, just trying to get sat down to reply when Ive got some decent time and no distractions. Life's good nowadays bro. How's **** for you??

PS, OP, your thread has officially been jacked
Old 06-30-2012, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

Hahaha, **** yeah it has. Couple old jar heads done jacked it. I'm pretty good bro. Lookin for a job right now. Car getting fixed.....again! It happens! Boys are huge! Pm me with ur number bro!! I'll hit ya up. Still hangin with a douche in a mustang u got pulled over for racing one saterday night a long long time ago!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:59 AM
12 Second Club

Ps. U recognize sig pic? U should ur fat *** took it!!

Quick Reply: enlisted into the Marine Corps today.