INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Worth it? TFS 255 square port heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Worth it? TFS 255 square port heads

Looking at buying a set of TFS 255 heads for my L9H w/ a modded 2300 Maggie. Is it goin to be worthwhile and be a total difference from using my stock 821 heads? What difference do you guys think itll make between the 2 heads? Will the 255s give me more HP on less boost? Trying to make the decision soon on which way to go. Any help is appreciated as always
Old 08-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LT16SpeedFormula
Looking at buying a set of TFS 255 heads for my L9H w/ a modded 2300 Maggie. Is it goin to be worthwhile and be a total difference from using my stock 821 heads? What difference do you guys think itll make between the 2 heads? Will the 255s give me more HP on less boost? Trying to make the decision soon on which way to go. Any help is appreciated as always
91LT16SpeedFormula,

Do you have a power goal currently?

Our stock GM 821 ported makes some serious power. If you're looking to make more than 900 I would highly recommend an aftermarket casting.

I have 3 aftermarket castings to choose from + our GM Ported casting.

Our Trickflow program is actually a 262cc over the 255. I also have a Brodix BR3 as well as an off shore casting if you're staying on a budget.

If you have any questions whatsoever, fire away!

-Russ
Old 08-31-2017, 07:51 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

How much boost are you running? Is it going to be night and day, no. You will make some more HP with the same boost, it will make your cam pull a little further and not peak and fall off as fast. ( Basically soften the peak and carry further, which is good if your motor can handle more RPM)

I am against the grain compared to most, I prefer a cath. port head on anything under 416 or so CI. I am also not a huge TFS 255 fan, I think there are better rect. port choices, or I guess I should say they don't impress me.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I had good luck with them.

I also ran into some throttle body issues that you wont with the newer PCM that kind of chopped my ***** off early... but I made great power at 15PSI.

I agree with Pat that the gain is dependent on boost and and they are better suited to larger cube motors, but I think its more dependent on bore than cubes. I think the square port head is at home on a 4.065" bore. That and your blower is a square port blower... so a cathedral head is off the table.

There are a lot of guys who have back to back tests with them on V2's that show gains over ported stock castings... that's what really convinced me to give them a go.

That video is at 15# on modest timing for a street tune (15* I believe with 93 octane and meth) and a 90mm throttle body choking it up top. I have 3 buddies in the truck (4 of us total) and my best guess is we were rolling at about 6300# on factory 20's. I would have loved to see what the power would have looked like with an opportunity to run a good 102 or larger.

That being said I think the aftermarket casting offers a lot in the way of strength to a stock aluminum block motor. For starters there is the obvious advantage of a thicker deck to help keep the heads planted where a factory head could lift. I don't think you will have to worry about that given your goals. I also think the heads will work to make the entire combination more rigid, which with the aluminum LS3 block I think that's something to be conscious of.

Oh BTW I was able to run a 1.56 60' spinning drag radials... so lack of bottom end power was the furthest thing from my mind.