INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Vortec 350 Mods!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:10 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the heads up with some of those issues! I hadnt even thought about them. the cruise control and all that stuff had never even crossed my mind.
Looks like I have a lot to think about and research.

Keep the advice comin guys!!! I can't get enough of this stuff

-Rob Nap
Old 04-27-2006, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.dragtruck.com/ENTRIES/DHD3P4H0A45J.html

He is one that we did at the shop. Stock long block BTW.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:09 PM

That truck is pretty awesome! it moves right along too. What problems did you have when installing the Ram Jet manifold? Was it an easy conversion? How hard was it to get around the AC? How does the throttle body work? Does the ram jet manifold have a throttle body right on the front of it already attatched, or do you need to put one on? After doing the install would you recommend this manifold? Were you happy with how the conversion went for the L31? I also didnt realize how skinny it was at the top, its nice to see pics of it installed.
Thanks for showing me that truck.
Good info so far.

-Rob Nap
Old 04-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vortec350ss,if you ever are goin to or want to run SD (speed density) you will have to get your VE table on simply because your fueling will not be correct if it is not.It will take some time and alot of logging but it can be done,no biggie.
As you know my next motor will be a 383 probably with large port vortec bowties and a ramjet.I am still running the stock injection and manifold on mine but it is not far from maxing those little poppet vales out.I am pushing right at abo0ut 300rwhp on motor off the bottle and there not much left N/A that these POS injectors will handle and would go lean if they can not support the power it is putting out.
JamesB. I have followed you Tahoe for a long time now and that thing is very impressive,I really like what you have done with that thing man.Talk about suprising people when they get there *** handed to them by a Tahoe.LOL
Old 05-01-2006, 01:51 PM

Hey guys, I was just doin a little research on the AFR heads and I found the price list for their heads. I also came across a GM 383 that makes 500 HP with the afr heads on it. The heads that came on the 383 were 1399 complete with parts for the pair. Does that mean that they come with everything ready to be installed?

The 383 they come on has a crazy cam and makes insane power down low and up high.
here is a link to the motor. http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/fram...s/383-500.html

Here is a link to the price list of the AFR heads.
http://www.airflowresearch.com/Airflow_Racer.pdf
They are part # 1038 on the 383

Would those be the best bet for my 350, or do they offer better for this application since its not a 383?

Those heads look like they have the symmetrical exhaust ports, would my 1 5/8 " thorley headers be enough for them? The heads can handle a crazy cam as well, and the 383 still managed really great low end power. Any thoughts on a cam with these heads on a 350? My last question is whether the Ram jet will bolt on? Do these heads take vortec style manifolds? I know the Ram jet will work with the vortec heads obviously. I also noticed that the carb they have on the 383 flows 750 cfm, and GM claims the Ram Jet is good for 1000 cfm.
What are your thoughts guys?
Thanks.

-Rob Nap
Old 05-02-2006, 07:02 PM

Anyone? Hog... James B.?
You guys seem to be the masters here. I'm really leaning toward those AFR heads. After seeing the performance they yield in te 383 I am extremely impressed, and the price doesnt seem too bad... unless I'm missing somthing.

-Rob Nap
Old 05-02-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first problem with this is that those heads are not Vortec heads. I guess you have a decision to make here...

You are looking at replacing both your heads and intake manifold. It would be possible for you to install convention SBC heads and a conventional manifold, perhaps one even customized with true MPFI and a carb-to-throttle body adapter of some sort. All the rest of the stuff could be improvised, like the extra coolant bypass on Vortec engines.

Personally, the Vortec head design on the classic small block Chevy is worth sticking with. It has taller intake runners that really do flow much better that the classic design.

AFR does make a "raised runner" 215cc head that is compatible with Vortec intakes, but not without modification. Also, these are race heads which means CNC machined, matched, balanced, lots and lots of labor in preparationa nd they carry a price tag to suit. These things run about $3300 per pair. They have D-shaped exhaust ports and have raised runners with both Vortec and SCB intake manifold bolt patterns. The ports themselves are raised up higher than even the Vortec ports are which means the intake manifold would need to be ported or spacers used. (Incidently, the lower portion of the Marine Intake Manifold is cast iron which makes welding deeper ends on it impossible.) Don't forget raising the manifold also opens up the distributor length can of worms. Vorect distributors need the hall-effect sensor on it for crank position correlation. The L31 distributor housing is entirely composite material.

Unless you have access to fabrication machinery, lots of time, and lots of patience to see it through, it is best to stick with the truely bolt-and-go head alternatives to stock. Right now the only ones fitting that bill are the Edelbrock E-Tec 170 and 200, The small-port GMPP iron Vortec, and worked-over stock Vortec heads with screw-in rocker studs, machined spring seats, springs, valves, and porting.

I chose E-Tec 200's for mine and have not been disappointed. They flow huge over stock. support 6500 RPM out of the box, and come with both optional washers and optional guide plates to use non POS self-aligning rockers.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the reply man. A little dissapplointing... but its more good info
I was really hoping those heads would work... they sound freakin sweet and arent priced too too bad either.
I was really hoping i could bolt on some of those parts to make some monster power! The new heads will still give me great results though when paired with the ram jet.
Thanks again man!

-Rob Nap
Old 05-20-2006, 06:01 PM

OK guys. This is m ynew plan... but its not definite, they are more like hopes. I was thinking that the large Port edelbrocks fully put together from summit woul dbe great because they can alreadfy handle a lot of lift from the cam. I was slso thinking about getting a Lingenfelter cam with 219/219 duration @ .050 .560"/.560" with 1.6 rocker. To complete the set up I was hoping to get a 2500 stall or so. How do you guys think this will perform?
Any input would be great!

-Rob Nap
Old 05-20-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What headers are you going to use with the E-Tec 200s? I believe the large port heads require 1-3/4 in. primaries. Don't you have the thorley tri-y headers and those have 1-5/8 in. primaries. The only headers that I have seen fit over those ports are the TOGs (out of business) and the hooker super comps (James B. has proven both to fit).

Quick Reply: Vortec 350 Mods!