Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was the reason we promoted the TVS. More support
Old 10-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Man Motor club

I'm sure it will be awesome once it shows up though. Did you get your custom parts together so you can slap it on when it gets there?
Old 10-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I'm sure it will be awesome once it shows up though. Did you get your custom parts together so you can slap it on when it gets there?
Pretty much ready IF the 2.9L ever shows up. 416 is built. Alternator bracket modified to move alt & pwr steering pump towards driver side. 8 rib Innovators West pulleys and Camaro water pump on board. My LS9 valve covers wouldn't clear the new YT 1.8 rockers so I am waiting on some fabricated ones from PRW.

Last edited by Duntov1967; 12-31-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Okay, so I got back from California and found that the Whipple was delivered yesterday. That is the good news. The bad news is that it has the standard 6 rib setup and not the 8 rib pulleys I ordered. Also they must have been a bit rough with it when packing because they broke the air temp sensor and split the grommet. John (91_bowtie) is so right! So a flurry of phone calls was made and I had to send photos "as proof" of the problem. I am still waiting to hear back but I do expect them to overnight me the proper parts if they are worth their salt. Also, they didn't bag the SC properly before putting in the expandable foam packing stuff. The bag tore and there was foam 'dust' everywhere which isn't so good since they failed to cap the fuel rail openings. Spent some time cleaning off the injectors and stuff. I did get the base manifold buttoned up and sat the SC on top to take a couple of pictures.

On a side note, I had to order PRW valve covers with special machined flanges to clear the rockers. Unfortunately, they are taller and now the alternator won't clear them. So now I might just have to change over to the Camaro alt/pwr steering configuration which I don't know if it will work with the hydroboost pump or just get a Dirty Dingo bracket setup. Just more issues to resolve.

Last edited by Duntov1967; 12-31-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great work on the bracket it looks amazing
Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Another setback was that the TPS sensor on the cable TB wouldn't clear as I was told it would. The solution was to clock the throttle body 90 degrees. After water-jetting and machining an adapter for the throttle body, all the sensors now clear. Now all I need to do is fab up the cable bracket.

Last edited by Duntov1967; 12-31-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why didnt you just space the thorttle 2-3" and be done with it?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sand man
why didnt you just space the thorttle 2-3" and be done with it?
It isn't as simple as that. Because of the jack shaft, the TB has to be rotated 180 degrees. That puts the cable on the driver's side and under the butterfly shaft. The width of the supercharger gets in the way of the cable alignment, fuel rail and Evap solenoid. Also, spacing out the TB will clear the TPS but then the IAC motor which was behind the idler would then interfere with it. It would have to space out 3+ inches which is excessive. And since there aren't any spacers available that deep, one would have to be machined anyways and actually be much more expensive since it cannot be water-jetted. Stacking a bunch of 1/2 inch ones with multiple gaskets would be a hack job.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Another update. I spent days in the engine bay modifying the wiring. Stripped the entire loom to reroute the harness behind and down the side of the motor. Other changes to wiring included deleting the IAT in the MAF and rewiring to the new IAT sensor at the back of the manifold. Also modified for the new 3 bar LS9 MAP, relocated knock sensors, LS2 cam sensor and Lingenfelter 100mm Bosch style MAF.

Got the motor in and I am now working on the various external motor parts and connections. Had to set the SC in twice because I forgot to hook up the boost gauge line on the back of the manifold the first time. What a pain that was. I sure hope everything is good because there is a ton of stuff behind the supercharger. If anything is bad with the IAT, MAP, intercooler lines, fuel lines, wiring connectors, etc....... the SC has to come out. Had a few issues with the power steering pump clearance. When I modified the alt/pwr steering bracket by rotating it to the driver's side, I didn't consider the location of the steering box and lines. Also the new hydroboost pump had an extra port tube that caused issues. But a rubber mallet fixed it all.

It is taking much more time than I expected but so far I am pleased with the install. But my back is killing me! Here are a few pics of where I am at now.

Last edited by Duntov1967; 12-31-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Itll be worth it in the end. Beautiful setup, cant wait to hear how it performs.

Quick Reply: Stroker Motor Build For Towing