INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Stock Idle cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:16 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

i think its just the converter they chose. my converter is WAY tighter than any yank or vigilante that ive driven on. i only brake stall 6 or 700 rpm higher than a stocker but it puts down the numbers at the track.

im currently on a stock converter until my fresh converter makes it back and i dont feel any dead area down low. if i mash the gas it lights them up. my one complaint is that the shift extensions are HORRIBLE!!! im shifting 6950 RPM and the rpm's drop back to about 4700ish rpm. it feels discusting. i would hate to know what it drops to if i shift 64-6400 RPM.

up until my latest job (long travel/expensive gas) my truck was a daily driver. i pulled a trailer with it 5 days of the week during the summer. no complaints from me (other than a killer gas expense)
Old 08-29-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i think its just the converter they chose. my converter is WAY tighter than any yank or vigilante that ive driven on. i only brake stall 6 or 700 rpm higher than a stocker but it puts down the numbers at the track.

im currently on a stock converter until my fresh converter makes it back and i dont feel any dead area down low. if i mash the gas it lights them up. my one complaint is that the shift extensions are HORRIBLE!!! im shifting 6950 RPM and the rpm's drop back to about 4700ish rpm. it feels discusting. i would hate to know what it drops to if i shift 64-6400 RPM.

up until my latest job (long travel/expensive gas) my truck was a daily driver. i pulled a trailer with it 5 days of the week during the summer. no complaints from me (other than a killer gas expense)
Im not gonna lie...I know really nothin about stall converters...Ive rode in a handful of car/trucks with them and I know theres a **** load to chose from...

I know with my truck my cam choice was kinda critical, only for the fact I got a 5 speed...Id say my cam is kinda in the middle of the pack as far as size and I LOVE the power it gave in the lower end...before taking off was DREADFUL...I really wished I had an auto...but now with the cam it put the fun back into it...I have the rev limiter set at 6400(only cuz shes 160k+)and it still pulls so Im very happy...I guess me comparing my truck to someone w/ an auto is like apple to oranges...
Old 08-29-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

about time someone with some common sense and experience came on here...

Jake, you are totally right you being a 5speed is a whole lot different from us autos, if you go too big of a cam you'll have that same lag on the lowend again....

what gets me is that people that dont have a converter are the one scared of running one or think they are not daily drivable, and that is B.S., i daily drove mine all this year till June and never had a problem, they are very drivable almost like a stock converter except when you want that power from the lowend all you have to do is put your foot down and you have the low end you want but with no traction! that is where you get your TQ, from converter upgrade, to rearend swaps.....
Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess what......... I LIKE TURTLES!!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B-K4...eature=related

Great clip of that kid lol.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've found InchUp to shoot it most straight recommending smaller cams even a lil' bigger than what I was eyeballin'. Torque on the bottom is what ya want in a big, heavy truck. I'm still leaning toward the Vinci cam DUR @ .004"
200*/ 208* .502 / .502 LSA 114* for it's shorter duration numbers and smooth idle LSA, as has been stated again and again that our trucks are not lightweight sports cars. I have eyeballed Bud Hays cam on the 114 LSA, but that intake duration still haunts me. But I'm still learning..................

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 08-30-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2001c3driver
I've found InchUp to shoot it most straight recommending smaller cams even a lil' bigger than what I was eyeballin'. Torque on the bottom is what ya want in a big, heavy truck. I'm still leaning toward the Vinci cam DUR @ .004"
200*/ 208* .502 / .502 LSA 114* for it's shorter duration numbers and smooth idle LSA, as has been stated again and again that our trucks are not lightweight sports cars. I have eyeballed Bud Hays cam on the 114 LSA, but that intake duration still haunts me. But I'm still learning..................
when i went from a stock cam to a 226 cam my 60' times did not chane at all. that tells me i didnt lose anything down low...
Old 08-30-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
when i went from a stock cam to a 226 cam my 60' times did not chane at all. that tells me i didnt lose anything down low...
Are you implying that the only modification change was taking the stock cam out and putting the "226" cam in? If so, I'm just gonna wave the BS flag high and proud right now.

Not just this one...., this one.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by InchUp
Are you implying that the only modification change was taking the stock cam out and putting the "226" cam in? If so, I'm just gonna wave the BS flag high and proud right now.

Not just this one...., this one.
thats exactly what i'm saying. i usually do my mods 1 at a time to check the results. i can think of a few places you can stick that bs flag
Old 08-30-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

I think we should take this discussion to a new thread so we stop whoring up this one. I feel as if there's no civil way of going about striking up a debate because too many of us have differing ideas on what a truck should do.

I had another lengthy response cocked and loaded ready to be fired after you posted that last post, TXsilverado, but now that I think of it, I'm not sure we're even talking about the same things any longer. This thread has gotten so misconstrued that the original post isn't even being talked about anymore. The original poster hasn't been back for exactly a week, so I feel like I'm waisting my time with someone who is not serious about a cam swap.

Quick Reply: Stock Idle cam