INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Rocker bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker bolts?

Started assembling my buddy's 408 last night. While checking the pushrod length I discovered the exhaust rocker bolts were bottomed out in the hole. Intake holes are fine because they go all the way through to the runner.

This ever happen to anyone?
Does anyone make a shorter rocker bolt?

Stock rockers, stock bolts, stock rocker stand, CNC'd edelbrock heads. Gonna call the shop that built the heads today. I could always cut off the unthreaded tip of the bolt to make it fit, although I'd llike to find another solution.

Alex
Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they the stock rocker bolts? They're the same size for intake/exhaust. I know that some ported heads will have the stud exposed or "peaking" out the bottom of the bore and into the runner.

Be sure to Lock-tite the bolts.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I talked to the shop that cnc'd the heads. He said they never heard of this problem. He said Edelbrock drills and taps the bolt holes. They have seen holes that werent threaded deep enough, and they just tapped them. These are deffinately bottoming out in the hole though. He said he could give Edelbrock a call for me, but I decided to just cut off the tip of the exhaust rocker bolts and all is good now.

stock length bolt

Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

edelbrock sells shorter rocker bolt kits for their ls1 heads, look on ebay, i think lingenfelter sells them on there. edelbrock #8597 only comes with 8 bolts so you would need two kits.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

That would have been great to know last week. LOL I asked around and couldn't find any other than stock length. I only cut the 8 exhaust bolts. I even asked the head builder. Oh well. Engine is all assembled now. Thanks anyway.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:44 PM
FormerVendor

This was a problem on the early batches of castings. It was done by Edelbrock at Lingenfelter's request. It really screwed me up when I first found this issue. As mentioned above, the fix is to grind the tips off your bolts or use the shorter Edelbrock bolts.
Good luck with the Edelbrock heads. Please post up your results and impressions of them when your up and running.

Cheers,

Richard
Old 10-12-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
This was a problem on the early batches of castings. It was done by Edelbrock at Lingenfelter's request. It really screwed me up when I first found this issue. As mentioned above, the fix is to grind the tips off your bolts or use the shorter Edelbrock bolts.
Good luck with the Edelbrock heads. Please post up your results and impressions of them when your up and running.

Cheers,

Richard
Yeah I was kinda wondering if it might have been a problem with early Edelbrock castings cause these were bought/built awhile back when The Edelbrock castings were pretty new on the scene. Thanks for the info and will do on the Results. This 408SSS oughta scream.