PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   !!!Lose of oil pressure after cam swap (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/lose-oil-pressure-after-cam-swap-552560/)

Johnstewart 04-28-2018 06:43 PM

!!!Lose of oil pressure after cam swap

So I have a 04 avalanche with the 5.3 I did a stage 2 btr cam and have lost all oil pressure at idle. What is going on? Is it the cam bearings? Will it come back if I put the stock cam back in? Before the install I had good pressure. I have checked the pick up o ring. I changed the pump. New pan gasket. And checked it with a oil gauge. I have been told that it is probably the cam bearings. What do I do?

arthursc2 04-28-2018 06:47 PM

Did you install the thrust plate?

Is the gasket on it good?

look there. Cam bearings don't dictate oil pressure, that's mains. Cam bearings might have a little to do with pressure, but the mains dictate it

Johnstewart 04-28-2018 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by arthursc2 (Post 5437882)

look there. Cam bearings don't dictate oil pressure, that's mains. Cam bearings might have a little to do with pressure, but the mains dictate it

Replaced the plate gasket 2 days ago with the pump. Same problem

Johnstewart 04-28-2018 07:00 PM

Fyi, it idles at 15 on start up but drops to 5 when warm. The warn chim kicks in when this happens. If I rev it I see 25psi

chevysten 04-28-2018 09:27 PM

Make sure you installed the correct o ring. It should have been the green one !!

Lowexpo 04-29-2018 06:36 PM

It’s not cam bearings. I didn’t know you could get a gasket for retainer plate? I replaced my cam retainer plate. That’s what was causing mine to not get pressure when prelubing engine. The oil pump o ring is probably the issue.

jake 03 04-29-2018 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by arthursc2 (Post 5437882)

In an ls motor cam bearings do dictate oil pressure. If you have a bad one the engine will not have oil pressure.

MrHorsepowerLSx 04-30-2018 11:16 AM

Both will have an effect on oil pressure when worn but more commonly cam bearings wear before mains and cause oil pressure loss

Obvious issues are pump and o-ring but if repair isn't found with them suspect cam bearings

madmann26 04-30-2018 03:27 PM

Ask crashmymax what to check. Lol

seriously, check the backing plate oring or just replace it....it’s cheap.

You mentioned you replaced the pump? Did you preprime it? There is a plug on the side of the motor just for this. YouTube it.

Correct oring on the dipstick tube?

Did you mess with the galley plug to the right of the pump? Crashmymax’s builder did this to him. Check it.

No reason to check the barbell unless you pulled it out through the front of the engine, but then you would have bigger issues.

B00sted2007 05-02-2018 12:59 AM

Honestly man the pickup tube oring, faulty oil pump, or camshaft retainer plate makes the most sense. If all you did was a cam swap and install a new oil pump, and you had good oil pressure before the cam swap, then it’s gotta be one of those three things! Cam bearings don’t go bad from a cam swap, unless you knocked one out when you installed the new cam! Lol

what oil pump did you use?

do you have a micrometer? Hell I’d check the measurements on my stock cam circle and compare the measurements with the measurements off the cam you put in, maybe something got dicked up on the overall diameter of the circles thatvride on the cam bearings on the new cam you installed? Long shot, but I’d measure them!