INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

!!!Lose of oil pressure after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!Lose of oil pressure after cam swap

So I have a 04 avalanche with the 5.3 I did a stage 2 btr cam and have lost all oil pressure at idle. What is going on? Is it the cam bearings? Will it come back if I put the stock cam back in? Before the install I had good pressure. I have checked the pick up o ring. I changed the pump. New pan gasket. And checked it with a oil gauge. I have been told that it is probably the cam bearings. What do I do?
Old 04-28-2018, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Did you install the thrust plate?

Is the gasket on it good?

look there. Cam bearings don't dictate oil pressure, that's mains. Cam bearings might have a little to do with pressure, but the mains dictate it
Old 04-28-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by arthursc2

look there. Cam bearings don't dictate oil pressure, that's mains. Cam bearings might have a little to do with pressure, but the mains dictate it
Replaced the plate gasket 2 days ago with the pump. Same problem
Old 04-28-2018, 07:00 PM

Fyi, it idles at 15 on start up but drops to 5 when warm. The warn chim kicks in when this happens. If I rev it I see 25psi
Old 04-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you installed the correct o ring. It should have been the green one !!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

It’s not cam bearings. I didn’t know you could get a gasket for retainer plate? I replaced my cam retainer plate. That’s what was causing mine to not get pressure when prelubing engine. The oil pump o ring is probably the issue.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by arthursc2

In an ls motor cam bearings do dictate oil pressure. If you have a bad one the engine will not have oil pressure.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Both will have an effect on oil pressure when worn but more commonly cam bearings wear before mains and cause oil pressure loss

Obvious issues are pump and o-ring but if repair isn't found with them suspect cam bearings
Old 04-30-2018, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Ask crashmymax what to check. Lol

seriously, check the backing plate oring or just replace it....it’s cheap.

You mentioned you replaced the pump? Did you preprime it? There is a plug on the side of the motor just for this. YouTube it.

Correct oring on the dipstick tube?

Did you mess with the galley plug to the right of the pump? Crashmymax’s builder did this to him. Check it.

No reason to check the barbell unless you pulled it out through the front of the engine, but then you would have bigger issues.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly man the pickup tube oring, faulty oil pump, or camshaft retainer plate makes the most sense. If all you did was a cam swap and install a new oil pump, and you had good oil pressure before the cam swap, then it’s gotta be one of those three things! Cam bearings don’t go bad from a cam swap, unless you knocked one out when you installed the new cam! Lol

what oil pump did you use?

do you have a micrometer? Hell I’d check the measurements on my stock cam circle and compare the measurements with the measurements off the cam you put in, maybe something got dicked up on the overall diameter of the circles thatvride on the cam bearings on the new cam you installed? Long shot, but I’d measure them!

Last edited by B00sted2007; 05-02-2018 at 01:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Blackout-88 (05-10-2018)

Quick Reply: !!!Lose of oil pressure after cam swap