INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Labor on cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:43 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Aren't the 915's capable of more lift than the LS6 springs? Or is that the 921's that can handle more lift? If 921 is correct p/n.

Also, that Crane (now VHP) tool is awesome (Jersey accent). Or is it Joysey accent?
I wouldn't do an LS swap w/o it.
Yea, the 915's are capable of more, but I had money at the time, and was still in the learning phase of these GENIII engines and curious to see if the LS6 springs would quiet my valvetrain down after the cam swap, which they did. My valvetrain still ticks and taps, but doesn't sound like as much of a sewing machine like it did with the 915's...but, when you go bigger on the lift and more aggressive with the lobes, that's the trade off. Sometimes performance makes noise....or is it "noyz", since I'm from Joisey

Tom, just for you and my Michigan future ex wife...that was "awesome" (with Joisey accent )

My New Hampshire friends always like to bust my chops for the way that I say "coffee" too
Old 11-14-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I did his and we used Crane's vavle spring tool and did not change lifters and it took us 10 hours, my second one and third one I did I also did a head swap and it took the weekend to do on each of them and I like to to think I know the LS engine pretty well since I have done a few cam and head swaps and build my 396 stroker from a bare block

I have another friend that owns a performace shop and he charges 250 for the cam and 250 for the springs and he can do it in about 3-4 hours that jsut shows someone that does it all day can do it much faster
Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Yea, the 915's are capable of more, but I had money at the time, and was still in the learning phase of these GENIII engines and curious to see if the LS6 springs would quiet my valvetrain down after the cam swap, which they did. My valvetrain still ticks and taps, but doesn't sound like as much of a sewing machine like it did with the 915's...but, when you go bigger on the lift and more aggressive with the lobes, that's the trade off. Sometimes performance makes noise....or is it "noyz", since I'm from Joisey

Tom, just for you and my Michigan future ex wife...that was "awesome" (with Joisey accent )

My New Hampshire friends always like to bust my chops for the way that I say "coffee" too
I have a sewing machine that how-to said I would. It's cool tho, esp. if a friend needs 6L to beat me.

Your Michigan future ex-wife???

BTW, is it New Hampster in Joisey eubonics?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aren't the 915's capable of more lift than the LS6 springs? Or is that the 921's that can handle more lift? If 921 is correct p/n.

Also, that Crane (now VHP) tool is awesome (Jersey accent). Or is it Joysey accent?
I wouldn't do an LS swap w/o it.
arent the 918's the better spring with more seat pressure, and I thought they came out with a beehive spring that has a max lift of .625 and the 921 and a dual spring with a .650 max lift

I liked the PRC dual springs it worked well with the my 248/252 .635/.645 110LSA cam
Old 11-14-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Berry, some have had problems w/. 918s & every month Comp uses a different vendor to make their 918s. Some like Billy, no longer believe in 918s, so they get rid of them. Oftentimes they replace w/. LS6 springs since they're low-priced & they work to .550 (or is it .575) Billy?
Yes, the 921s are duals & capable of .650. Not sure if u need Comp R lifters to go w/. them w/o further researching. Also, I think u need to machine or seats to accomodate, but I'm sure others can enlghten us if that's the case.
Billy & others like PAC's.

Whoops!EDIT:I meant PAC's not PRCs.

Last edited by fastnblu; 11-14-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: You may need other things on 921's & / or machining.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Praise The Lowered

I agree with most comments...$2500 is just outrageous!! I would think a LSX based speed shop would charge $4-700 for cam & springs and a normal mechanic not specializing in Gen 3 would charge $650-1100..

-Back in 03' the first place I went to builds 1500 hp mustangs so I trusted their mechanical ability..He charged me $275 for the cam swap and $300 for the valve springs install...He set/checked the proper hieght on every single spring and shimmed some...and insisted on it..So after that I thought guys were crazy for just throwing then in without checking..now thats how I do it ..

-I say do it yourself with a friend and 3-5 open days...along with ALL the required parts/tools
Old 11-14-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't verify heights, so obviously, I didn't shim either. Good info.

So now, I gotta get another tool?

I also didn't verify pushrod length, but instead went w/. what everyone used, so it's gotta be right. While maybe I coulda stayed w/. stock length p'rods, I didn't. Not cause of length, but strength, cause they're considered as 1 of the few weak pts. these LSx's have.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:17 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Your Michigan future ex-wife???
Yea...you're girl there that likes my voice...I need to make some more mistakes, paying one child support bill isn't enough, need to add some alimony on top of that to make sure that I never have the dough to mod my truck again!

Oftentimes they replace w/. LS6 springs since they're low-priced & they work to .550 (or is it .575) Billy?

Billy & others like PAC's
The lift that they're capable to depends on how aggressive the lobes are...Lingenfelter uses them with their cams that have over .57x lift, but one must assume that their lobes are not that aggressive...I'm guessing Comp XE lobes, but I'll bet that Jarrod (1Bear) would know for sure (what doesn't he know lol ) I wouldn't use them with any XER lobe...although guys have with no problems. Guys have run the yellow LS6 springs on daily drivers with TR220's and TR224's (think Zippy for instance), and they see frequent weekend track time, and have not had any problems. The Comp 918/ PAC 1218 have 130# of closed seat pressure vs. the 90# for the LS6's...this is good to make sure that that valves don't float and all of the components of the valvetrain stay in contact as they should. A conservative, or "overbuilding" guy like myself would run PAC 1218's with any TR cam...

Last edited by budhayes3; 11-14-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: fixed to match fastnblu's reply
Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Praise The Lowered

I didn't verify heights, so obviously, I didn't shim either. Good info.
I dont check anymore either, I think if I built a stroker, or forged motor I would balance/blurprint it (pay the extra). All of my work done now is by my friend Richie who is the foeman on the heavyline at a local chevy dealership and he never felt it important to check hieght, only torque obviously..
Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I fixed it, I meant PAC not PRC.

Quick Reply: Labor on cam swap?