INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Help with LQ9 Top end build for BMW M3 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Camaro427
Which ever is cheaper lol doesn't make sense to spend extra 500-1000 on a set of heads for maybe 10-15 more hp at the crank. IMO

Plenty of people making 450 with cam and ported 243/799< these should make more tq on a 6.0 then L92s also
true ^^ x2

Ive been debating and researching as well... Ive been told by "smart/educated" folks that keep saying 243s without a doubt...

I personally may go with some AI 243s... should be close to 500hp
Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...k-results.html

The LS3 heads are awesome, but as mentioned they are better with the larger bore. People are making GREAT power with the 'old' cathedral port heads. I think pat G nailed what you are looking for in that build... and thats through an unlocked auto.

If I was doing heads again I'd either buy new AFR, or go with a very reputable porter like Advanced Induction or Flowtech induction.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:29 AM
TECH Resident

not sure about the hokus pokus..

but GM puts the ls3 heads on 4" bore from out the factory... I get tired of this talk. They rate the engines at more power too. I went with the L92 heads, and going to mill them .020 with the .040 gaskets. The cam I have will be it, Im not looking to go radical with this setup, but IMO it should walk with plenty cathedral setups, if not out perform them. I actually am building my setup to be able to outrun the bigger bore motors 6.2s!

remember the old tbi vs vortec head debate, no the old heads are better.... yea they make more tq velocity. yes. but vortec was the way to go. On a 4" bore, for the bang for the buck, and the options, L92 might be a cheaper route for equal to more power with less effort.

My cam is pretty big too, its not tame I would say, but if I want to go bigger, like say if I had a M3... I would run the Ls3 heads, milled, about .030-.040... I would then have compression up to about 11.6:1 + and I would then measure and FLY cut the pistons to avoid PTV problems... Put some ARP rod bolts in it. And spin that **** to 8-9000 rpm. with the right valve train..

^^^probably the answer you looking for ^^^^

Last edited by sleeperlqx; 11-24-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Shrouding or not, Skeet proved Lq9 with Ls3s works awesome. I modeled my set up after Skeets but with a few tweaks of my own more for a daily driver. I wont be going back to 243s. Have outrun 6.2 truck and some 6.2 camaros with my set up. Me happy!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm620
Hello all. I have just bought a 2006 LQ9 with 78k. I'm going to be swapping this into my 1998 BMW M3 and need help specing out a top end. I'm looking to have some where between 450-500whp thru a LS2 T56 6spd. This car is going to be an all around toy.. it will be put thru Drifting, Drag racing, & street beating.. I could car less of the manors on the street as long as it does not stall out i don't care how aggressive it is.

Here is a list of what I'm thinking of going with please leave your feed back.

Heads/Springs/valve's Package: From Texas Speed - PRC LS3 and L92 CNC Ported Heads
- PRC LS3/L92 CNC Ported
- PRC .650" Dual Spring Kit
- Valve Options
-- 2.165"/1.59" Standard GM Valves
-- 2.165"/1.59" Stainless Steel valves
-- 2.165"/1.59" GM hollow stem intake valves
-- 2.165"/1.59" Stainless Steel hollow stem intake valves

Intake / Throttle body:
- Fast 102 LSXR LS3 Intake
- PTM 102mm Cable Driven Throttle Body

I need help with the above head package and what Cam/Rockers/pushrods to go with. I'm also trying to stay away from having to cut Valve reliefs into the pistons.. as i don't have the tools to cut them or measure the Piston to Valve Clearance.

I have been reading on here to Mill L92 heads .015 and run .040 head gasket's.. but i don't know what that translates into as far as Combustion chamber CC's

Thank you all for any advice / guidance that is given.
i ran those valves ( in red ) i made the valvetrain as light as i possibly could, had it setup properly with dual gold .650 lift springs < i'd get with a engine builder and go with a better spring some with better seat pressure, i say this cause i ended up floating a valve over 7k rpms, we churned out 480+ pulling up to and pass 7k rpm on a dynojet dyno this is with a FAST 102 LSXr intake and same TB you mentioned through a 4k stall. every bolt on imaginable. track ET mentioned higher output numbers then i went with a different bump stick never dynoed it after that, but ran a tenth or two better. guess that'll speak for itself . 7.400 push rods will work i ran them, cam i ran was a 231/239/621/621/113+1 you'll be at 11:0-1 compression. Your stock rockers is the best way to go they're lighter just get a trunion upgrade.

if interested i have my FAST intake fuel rails and direct port system ready to sale just need injectors, i do have 50 # in jectors for it but wont fit with the direct port system. hit me up if interested. even have the altered alt bracket and bolts needed all you need is the water pump spacers and F body water pump
Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Skeet weren't your heads massaged pretty intensely to avoid the 'shrouding' that people are calling bs on?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Skeet weren't your heads massaged pretty intensely to avoid the 'shrouding' that people are calling bs on?
they started off as TSP ls3 heads CNCed, i will say this from what ive seen out there TSP has if not the best they run a close race to the best CNC program for head porting...

then i met a not so well known head porter in Baytown, but knows his **** about porting, we spent weeks porting and bench testing the heads until we got what we wanted, then the heads were setup with the best of best of parts from custom PAC springs to ferrea valves

so to answer your question YES they were! look up Pat Foreman he had his hands on them also
Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by low2001gmc
Shrouding or not, Skeet proved Lq9 with Ls3s works awesome. I modeled my set up after Skeets but with a few tweaks of my own more for a daily driver. I wont be going back to 243s. Have outrun 6.2 truck and some 6.2 camaros with my set up. Me happy!

comment of the day right there..

Im going to have fun too I cant wait... Me and you both have had Skeet give us the right advice. But more towards daily drivers with reliability.

Hey Skeet I got Brian Tooley Springs, I hope they keep up with my cam, as their .660 on the lift.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sleeperlqx
comment of the day right there..

Im going to have fun too I cant wait... Me and you both have had Skeet give us the right advice. But more towards daily drivers with reliability.

Hey Skeet I got Brian Tooley Springs, I hope they keep up with my cam, as their .660 on the lift.
its not all about lift, seat pressure open/close plays a big roll in how valves act or how long we need them open or how we need them to slam closed

daily driver lol take it for what its worth if i wouldnt have floated one of the valves in my lq9 setup i was just about to put the AC back in it and call it done with just a roll bar inside the cab, but when i floated a valve i went straight to a 410 which then disaster struck and ended up with a 408, damn i miss the lq9 stock shortblock and most of all the 410, i feel it was more powerful than the 408
Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
instensly or STOCK form. GM puts them on the 4"bore and if I remember correct the G8 bore is a tad smaller. NO shrouding by GM standards. IMO+

Also IIRC GM makes the square bore heads for smaller displacements smaller than a 4" bore now.

Quick Reply: Help with LQ9 Top end build for BMW M3 Swap