INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

How do I find TDC without removing timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I find TDC without removing timing chain?

Hey, I'm new to the thread.

I have 2000 5.3L single cab. CAI, LTs, exhaust custom tune

I was going to install my new 1.8 rockers and springs next weekend. Cam will come later when funds permit.

The number one cylinder has to be at tdc to set the preload then the other 14 rockers are tq 22ftlbs
Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the number one plug out.(first plug on driver side) and bump the till you hear a blowing sound come out.you be able to tell. Or you can get a 22 or 24 shocker and turn the engine over by hand.but it way easier to bump the hey over till to hear it blow air out then you can move it till lines up on the marks on the timing cover.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure you bump the key and don't start the engine
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM

That makes sense hearing the air come out as the piston pushes it out.

I forgot to mention the truck came with an ASP under drive pulley and there are no marks on the pulley to match up to the timing cover. How would I be able to tell it is exactly tdc, not just close, once I bump it and hear the air come out?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:24 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Theres not an exact way without taking the head off and putting a dial indicator on the piston.

However, the keyway on the crank that keeps the crank timing gear in place will point to cylinder 1 when it is at TDC (about 1 oclock).
Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 PM

I have a pulley puller! The line/indicator on the crank is visible outside of the timing cover?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Dont think so.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull plug out of number one. Slide a screwdriver in the hole. Rotate crank till screw driver rises. As it starts to fall bump the crank back. You Will now have tdc. This will give you 1&6. Rotate 90degree 8&5, 7&4, 3&2. Rotating 90 degree between each.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not just replace rockers and springs, tighten everything down to 22ft/lbs turn the engine over 180 degrees and re-check the torque. no need to put at TDC
Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need to be at TDC to check a pushrod, you just need to be off of a lobe. Turn the engine over until the #1 cylinder exhaust valve starts to open and stop. That will make sure that you are off of an intake lobe. If you wanted to be off of an exhaust lobe turn the engine over until that cylinder intake valve closes and stop.

If you really want to find an exact TDC with the head on you need to use a piston stop and a degree wheel. A piston stop is something that stops the piston in the cylinder. Get a bolt that matches your spark plug thread, and thread it in while the piston is down so it does not hit. Fasten a degree wheel to your balancer, or you could even use the balancer if you didn't need it exact. Make a pointer out of a piece of wire that points to the degree wheel or balancer without touching it. Turn the engine over with the spark plugs out and the rockers backed off (you don't need to back off the rockers it just makes the engine turn over easier, and you will be doing that step anyways). When the engine stops from the piston hitting the piston stop mark down the degrees on the degree wheel, or mark the balancer pulley. Now turn the engine over in the opposite direction until it stops. When it stops mark down that degree wheel number or mark the balancer in that spot. TDC will be exactly half way between both positions that you marked down where it stopped. Remove the piston stop, and turn the engine over until you are exactly in the center of your two marks.

Quick Reply: How do I find TDC without removing timing chain?