INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Counter Revolution Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Counter Revolution Engine

While I was doing some research on my bike and what not I ran across a bike engine that seemed really ingenious and new. Been trying to do more research on it but thought I would share just in case someone knew more about it than I did. Anyone know anything about the Moto Czysz C1 bike w/ the counter-revolution engine?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sounds cool....
Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They were doing this (I don't know if they still were) on Nascar engines years ago. The advantage to this was the car would handle better through the high speed corners given the rotation of the engine causing the tires to bite into the asphalt more.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They had a story about the bike and its development on Speed Channel a few weeks ago. I think it was called "Birth of a Racer". If you can find it it's definitely worth watching.

Last edited by blue2003ls; 06-02-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
They were doing this (I don't know if they still were) on Nascar engines years ago. The advantage to this was the car would handle better through the high speed corners given the rotation of the engine causing the tires to bite into the asphalt more.
wow that sounds interesting
Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yamaha was once doing this with their MotoGP bike, the M1. I think those was the days when they still ran the Screamer firing order though. It had to do with the moment of inertia of the rotational mass of the crank and associated bits. They found the bike to be a better handler as a result. Don't know if they still use it or not the current M1 iteration.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by blue2003ls
They had a story about the bike and its development on Speed Channel a few weeks ago. I think it was called "Birth of a Racer". If you can find it it's definitely worth watching.
Yeah I found that movie and saw it, does a decent job of explaining it but am curious to know more about it.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
it sounds cool....
From what I gather they took an inline four and cut it in half, sinc'ed up the firing order on the two half's and ran one backwards so that one half counter acts the second half. With that design there was no need for balance counterweights, heavy flywheel, etc... and it therefore was super super thin.

Originally Posted by hirdlej

The advantage achieved within a motorcycle frame was that there is no longer a tendency for the motorcycle to right itself when you get on the throttle when in a hard turn. The gyroscopic effect of the crank on most bikes causes a leaning bike to become upright in a corner if too much throttle is applied or if a driver is not strong enough to keep the bike leaned over. With this design the bike can remain in an hard turn and you could literally go full throttle and you would not have the bike trying to rip you upright.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:30 PM
GFYS and STFU

Here's an article I found...

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...990/index.html
Old 06-02-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

I think because the rule makers keep changing the engine size and configurations, even the factories are having trouble funding constant redesign. Czysz is now developing an electric bike.
http://www.motoczysz.com/club/

Quick Reply: Counter Revolution Engine