PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   Comp Cams valve spring tool FAIL (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/comp-cams-valve-spring-tool-fail-517669/)

TIM Z 05-10-2013 05:12 AM

Comp Cams valve spring tool FAIL

2 Attachment(s)
Comps valve spring compressor really screwed me last night .

I am doing a cam install for my buddy on his 2000 ram air firebird , He bought the comp valve spring tool for the job .

Well we started to change the springs on the Front drivers side ,compressed the springs , popped the valve keepers out , released the tool , pulled old springs off.

Then we put the new PAC springs on , the valves did not look centered in them as we started to compress them .

Here's why
Attachment 116082

This tool comes with the cheapest fucking junk bolts I've ever seen !
They bent while we compressed the stock springs!
Had to cut the heads off the bolts to get the compressor body out, then luckily we ran the twisted bolts out by hand . Lucky we didn't mess up the rocker bolt holes. What a son of a bitch is was trying to cut the bolt heads off !

If you use comps spring compressor throw away the bolts and get hardened ones !! The damn tool is 100$ you'd think the bolts would be good , thanks comp I'm pissed !!! Set us back an hour on install ! :madcat:

Here's the bird I'm working on , only 57k on her , nice car , doing a 224 cam, springs , then up to have TJ dyno tune it ;) , should be fun after that .

Attachment 116083

ak2007r6 05-10-2013 05:16 AM

Good looking car.

Would have never guessed those bolts would have bent, pretty pathetic for a $100 tool

06tx4.8 05-10-2013 07:05 AM

damn...i just finished up a cam swap on a 2013 ZL1 Camaro, I have the same tool and it works great. I installed the Brian Tooley Dual Springs as well. Did u leave the rocker stand on the head?

skolman91 05-10-2013 09:24 AM

This is when billy would step in and say comp sucks should of bought a crane tool...:jest:
Ive used the crane tool, and i bought the cheap knockoff of cranes tool and used that once with no problem. You would think comp would be able to make a measly spring swap tool that could hold together, guess comp is still living up to their name...:chuck-bal

RS/SS 4.8 05-10-2013 10:38 AM

I had one strip the center screw, the one that u turn to compress the springs, go out on me on the first set of springs. That sucked because it was 102 degrees that day. Sent it back got my money and bought a cheaper on that worked just fine.

oakley6575 05-10-2013 02:59 PM

I have the same tool. Never had problems with it. It sucks to see that happened to you

TIM Z 05-11-2013 07:32 AM

Went and got new hardened bolts , going to give it another try today .

The last four cam swaps I've done I've always borrowed a crane tool , best tool ever !! Wish I had one but tired of borrowing from my buddy's lol.

I just think we had inferior bolts , so well see.

03sierraslt 05-11-2013 07:59 AM

I have a Crane tool, somewhere. It seems to be a on vacations at the moment.

1FastBrick 05-11-2013 04:23 PM

It's all about maximizing profit with Comp Cams. They have proved it time and time again with parts failures and poor customer service.

GREENSIERRA 05-12-2013 06:28 PM

I have the crane tool.
put my .660 dual springs on without a problem