INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Cheap roller rockers = noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheap roller rockers = noise?

I put a Blueprint 383 stroker in my '97 c1500. It came with long slot non rollers. Before installing I put a set of Summit brand 1.6 roller rockers on. Adjusted them on the stand to 0 lash + 3/4

I noted some excessive noise from both banks, maybe one rocker each side. After ~ 500 miles I readjusted them to zero + 1/4 turn. Had one rocker on left bank still making a bit of noise. Re-adjusted tonight to zero + 1/2. Same thing. One rocker clacking a bit too much.

I know a lot can lead to the symptom. Pushrod length (BTW - never pulled the rods out) lazy lifter etc... But considering its a new mill I would like to think its not a lifter problem and the rods were spec'ed properly during the build.

Could it be - you get what you pay for with the roller rockers? Once in a while one just makes noise with a "cheap" set?

I haven't run it with the OEM rockers in - I guess that would be the next step?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check the wipe pattern on the tip of the valve? Never assume someone spec'd the right pushrods, it is very easy to check. Use a black sharpie and see where the roller contacts.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have not but I will tonight!
Old 06-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard about noisy rockers when I did the 5.7 vortec in our old Denali. After a bunch of research I noticed that nobody was complaining about Scorpion rollers. After a bit more research, I went with them. Zero complaints.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

i think most people notice the valvetrain noise more if they happened to install long tube headers at the same time