INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Cam Fitment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lundy
I work at a small automotive machine shop and we found you have to be very careful with the front journal. A lot of the time when installed the bearing gets started crooked and it misshapes the bearing making it a tight fit(cam won't spin) or the cam will not go in at all.
I think this is your problem. Is the engine in the vehicle or on the stand? The actual bearing could be in crooked. Maybe you could take a straight edge and hold it on the bearing surface and see if it is in crooked.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to get it past the first bearing (slightly rubbed the high spots down) and the second bearing is doing the same thing. When I place the cam in the first journal and twist it slowly I can feel it binding. Moving onto the second bearing it is starting to gouge this bearing as well. Again, I am working slowly twisting the cam but it eventually becomes stuck while doing so. Wish I had a dial bore gauge to measure more precisely.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

At this point, before you screw up your cam, or end up with it jammed in a bearing, or worse have a machine shop look at it and figure out wtf is going on! At this point if the machine shop installed the bearings, whether it was 2 years ago or not, if this is the first time you have attempted to put a cam into the engine and nothing else has been done to the engine they screwed something up, the cam should slide into the bearings fairly easily and not bind when its in a bearing!
Old 04-11-2017, 04:57 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If block has the long uneven head bolts it likely uses the early style bearing, or like said earlier could have a crooked or mushroomed bearing. Id say it needs at least .001'' clearance.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a crooked bearing after all. Easy fix. Thank you everyone!