INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Building a boost motor..what goes in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

243's, Manley crank, Eagle rods and CP pistons in my 5.3 here. I'm only pushing 10 lbs but I'm sure it could take a LOT more. As the others have said, don't bother messing with 241's.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BGERALD
So I mill my stock heads .030 and p&p and ill have the equivalent of a modified 243? Or should I mill the 243s and p&p. I'm going to talk to him. Anyone have some 243s laying around ud like to sell?
Milled 317's are essentially 243's. Untill you figure what dish pistons your going to use, do not mill anything yet.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by swift700
243's, Manley crank, Eagle rods and CP pistons in my 5.3 here. I'm only pushing 10 lbs but I'm sure it could take a LOT more. As the others have said, don't bother messing with 241's.
You need to stuff that thing with atleast 20, you are WAY over built for only 10 lbs
Old 02-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swift700
My buddy is running 10-12 on stock bottom end. U should up yours to like 15 at least dude
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Milled 317's are essentially 243's. Untill you figure what dish pistons your going to use, do not mill anything yet.
On mine ill probably go diamond or wiseco dished. What would u recommend milling 243s to? I'm actually on the hunt for some 243s now. I think I'm going to go 408 with mine if it get taken apart though If I'm going to build something I want it to be bauce. I joked with my cummins buddy earlier about going 408 with a twin turbo fed Maggie lol may even throw a procharger on to boot
Old 02-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Baltimore Whore

I wouldn't have the 43's milled..
Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to figure out what compression ratio your shooting for and choose your piston and then decide how much you want to mill your heads if any at all.
Use this to figure your comp ratio
http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp
On the piston cc use negative numbers for dome and positive numbers for dish. For every .006 you mill off a head is 1 cc. Generally most aftermarket pistons are 0 deck.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
You need to figure out what compression ratio your shooting for and choose your piston and then decide how much you want to mill your heads if any at all.
Use this to figure your comp ratio
http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp
On the piston cc use negative numbers for dome and positive numbers for dish. For every .006 you mill off a head is 1 cc. Generally most aftermarket pistons are 0 deck.
I'm really going to start reading into this man..what would be a good ratio for 10-12 psi? I'm completely new to this. Also what would u recommend for 20psi for my buddy's application
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If it were my build, I would get ahold of "Liljohn" off Yellowbullet.com and have him spec the cam, just tell him what you have planned to do, what size motor you plan to build, what size turbo, etc, etc, etc, and he will tell you what compression ratio to run for the cam that he will spec out for your build. His cams have made some serious power over others "spec" cams for boost. You will get so many answers off here on what compression ratio that you'll need to run.
Another thing, what turbo do you have? Do you know if it'll actually make 20lbs? What fuel and fuel system are you going to run, there's alot if things you'll need to handle the amount of power 20lbs of boost will make.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
If it were my build, I would get ahold of "Liljohn" off Yellowbullet.com and have him spec the cam, just tell him what you have planned to do, what size motor you plan to build, what size turbo, etc, etc, etc, and he will tell you what compression ratio to run for the cam that he will spec out for your build. His cams have made some serious power over others "spec" cams for boost. You will get so many answers off here on what compression ratio that you'll need to run.
Another thing, what turbo do you have? Do you know if it'll actually make 20lbs? What fuel and fuel system are you going to run, there's alot if things you'll need to handle the amount of power 20lbs of boost will make.
Yeah I was thinking the other day that his turbo is like a 66mm iirc and that's not going to get him to 20 so I'm thinking he has something else planned..possibly twins. It's a Garrett turbo. I was going to get pat guerra from guerra group to spec a cam out and all for him but ill look into liljohn

Quick Reply: Building a boost motor..what goes in?