INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

bore work and crank turn $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 10:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what i'm talki'n bout right therr. hell theres a slavage yard here that evertime i go in there he ain't got it even if i see it right in front of me. don't matter what it is if i need it he don't have it lol.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
thats what i'm talki'n bout right therr. hell theres a slavage yard here that evertime i go in there he ain't got it even if i see it right in front of me. don't matter what it is if i need it he don't have it lol.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

well i went to yellow pages .com and thats the **** i found 29 around here close. they were under automotive machine shop. imagine that huh. i think i'll do a little price checking tomorrow i'll right up what i find what should i ask for for this thing so i don't sound stupid i know i need it bored and the crank turned but what else should i have it magnafluxed too is it a good must and should i have them replace my cam bearing being that they are pressed in?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would have the block vated and cleaned, install new cam bearings, and have them check the crank to see if it needs turning. Turn if necessary or polish at the least. Magnafluxing is not necessary unless you just feel like it. I never have anything magnafluxed unless I'm suspect of cracks; usually just heads if need be. The cam bearings typically won't survive a good heat vating, that is the main reason for installing new one's. Cam bearings typically dont wear out. Hope this helps.
Mark
Old 01-27-2006, 10:52 PM
12 Second Truck Club

cool can you vate an alluminum block though i didn't think you could. maybe i'm getting confused hear i thought most people magnaflux before they bore to make sure there not to thin or is that something else? there are no deep scratches in the crank just really fine ones you can barely feel with your nail.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

The crank will most likely need just a polish then. I've never had an aluminum block so I'm unsure about vating. I don't think there will be any problem since the EPA won't allow shops to use the acids they used to. Just ask the shop. Sonic testing is what they do on cyl thickness. You shouldn't have any problem with general machining. The only time you need to check this is when you are doing extreme boring.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

ok them so i should be good alright i'll post some prices i get. anything else i'm missing?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just ask the shop questions and tell them all about your build. They are the professionals. Use your head and maybe you won't get screwed
Old 01-27-2006, 11:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

thanks again.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

ok i caled another guy today he said 150 to bore and hone he said 50 for the cleaning and 100 for the work cause he had to clean it before he could machine it. 35 for cam bearing and freeze plug installation. do i need to put in new feeze plugs i haven't seen any body do this whats the part number? and 100 to turn the crank if it needs it but if not 35-40 to polish it. and 200 to balance the whole rotating assy. so how do these sound?

Quick Reply: bore work and crank turn $$$$