INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Ask a Flowmaster Tech: the Exhaust Q&A.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ask a Flowmaster Tech: the Exhaust Q&A.

Ask a Flowmaster Tech: the Exhaust Q&A.-bfvb68k.jpg

We're here to answer any question that you may have about exhaust systems. If you have a question or concern about a Flowmaster product, need help choosing a specific muffler or building a custom system, this is the place to post. Ask away!
Old 12-29-2015, 10:14 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Do you have any technical data on flow rates at a given pressure of your muffler lineup?
Old 12-29-2015, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

why do flowmasters sound like poop on every LS engine'd vehicle?
Old 12-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Dont know if they know what they have gotten themselves into now
Old 12-29-2015, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Atomic
Do you have any technical data on flow rates at a given pressure of your muffler lineup?

Unfortunately, we do not. The reason for this is that exhaust flow does not behave the same way that a flow bench does. A flow bench feeds a smooth, constant supply of room temperature air. Exhaust gases flow in alternating high pressure pulses of hot gas. Because of this, comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges.

All of our mufflers are designed using an engine dyno and a spectrum analyzer. We have a broad variety of engines at our R&D facility and design each muffler to extract as much power as possible across its intended applications. The spectrum analyzer is used so that we can monitor which sound frequencies the muffler produces to minimize unwanted frequencies and truly “tune” the mufflers for that distinctive Flowmaster sound.

Flowmaster's Cat-back and Axle-back systems are tested on their specific vehicle applications on a chassis dyno in the same manner. We ensure that there are gains in power and that we achieve a specific sound. It is also worth noting that when we cannot find the right "off-the-shelf" Flowmaster muffler for a specific application, we then design a kit-only muffler for that system.

At our engine dyno, we have everything from common small blocks to various 4,5, and 6-cylinder engines as well as many different crate motors. We also have several race teams that we work with that test out our prototypes and provide us with unbiased third-party, race-tested opinions on our products.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Mike@Flowmaster

Is there a flowmaster that does not drone in 4 cylinder mode on one of the newer GM vehicles?

Im exhaust shopping right now
Old 12-29-2015, 06:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by steves86ta
Mike@Flowmaster

Is there a flowmaster that does not drone in 4 cylinder mode on one of the newer GM vehicles?

Im exhaust shopping right now

When you put a performance exhaust system on a vehicle that has cylinder deactivation, you will hear the deactivation a lot clearer than you would with the stock exhaust system. When the cylinders deactivate, you are essentially hearing a four cylinder motor through your exhaust system and will generally notice quite a difference in tone. Depending on the aggressiveness of your exhaust setup, this can mean drone.

The Flowmaster Force II Cat-back kits are our mildest systems and have been designed to give you an increase in sound and performance while minimizing interior resonance. If you are concerned about increased interior resonance, this is the system for you. We offer Force II Cat-backs in both a dual exit (#817666) and single exit configuration (#817672). Both of these systems feature a Super 50 Series muffler, which has a resonance tuning chamber specifically designed to reduce drone.

If you are looking for a more aggressive system than that, we do have the American Thunder Cat-back (#817669). The American Thunder produces an aggressive tone that will be more noticeable both inside and outside of the truck.

Our Customer Service Manager, John Osterkamp, has the American Thunder Cat-back on his ’12 Silverado 1500. His truck has cylinder deactivation and I’ve been in the truck and heard it in person. It doesn’t drone like you would think, although you can tell when the cylinder deactivation kicks in. If you have any other questions specifically pertaining to the late-model GM trucks with cylinder deactivation to go ahead and give John a call at 707-544-4761 x428, and he would be more than happy to talk about it.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if I should get pro-x flowermaster or aero on my 2003 gmc sierra 5.3 want sounds mean and loud
Old 12-30-2015, 01:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
I wonder if I should get pro-x flowermaster or aero on my 2003 gmc sierra 5.3 want sounds mean and loud
If you are looking for an exhaust system or muffler recommendation, give us a call at 707-544-4761 so that we can help you to select the parts that are right for you based on your specific sound requirements, performance needs and budget.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:46 PM
FormerVendor

I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year!

Quick Reply: Ask a Flowmaster Tech: the Exhaust Q&A.