INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

96 tahoe w/CPI 5.7 want power

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you tell me more about the 406,434,454 small blocks I can build. I have never heared of a 454 small block can you tell me what I need to build these huge cubic monsters out of a small block ,and any pros and cons that go along with them.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Pros hp an gobs of torque. Cons they have horrible rod ratios and do not last forever (milage wise). You just get a aftermarket block and bore it to 4.125 or bigger and put a large stroke crank in it like 4".
Old 11-22-2005, 11:38 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hellbents10
I figured you would show up on this thread, thanks for posting the great info. The Marine intake swap is definatly more bolt on freindly. A little bit easier and it looks stock, great for running steath. I agree with you on the L31 we are just starting to have fun with it and its a very capable motor.

We just took the heads off the Ram Jet truck yesterday. Everything looks great. Its ready for another season of abuse. Now its getting E-tec 200's and a cam. Along with a bigger "air pump" lol. We are going to see what the short block is worth. I bet it will make 500 to the tires and not even flinch. We will be spinning it to about 6k or so. We also bolted up a 4l80e and got the crossmember relocated for it. Now we will pull that out and go through it. We don't want the trans holding us back on our hp testing now do we.

Get a blower on yours Hog!!! It will be fun I promise lol.
hey man, hows it going? Good luck with the truck, it sounds awesome. maybe you should look at the GM Fastburm heads, they are prettuy much the same as teh Etec 200's but have the extra 10 cc of intake ports volume 200 vs. 210, they are GM performance parts pieces and can support 500 hp on a NA 383, just a thought. Theyt come complete with teh LT4 sodium filled exhaust valves and LT4 lightweight valvetrain pieces. Just an idea.

I noticed that you intended to spin the new Vortec engine to 6000 rpm. I was wondering how you plan to do that exactly? What is the highest rpm you have been able to get an L31/L30 Vortec engine to rev using the stock PCM??? Anyone I have talked to says 5800 rpm. I have had Ed Wright of fastchips tune my PCM for 6100 rpm and I could only get 5800 rpm. I tuned my own PCM with tunercat for a 6500 rpm rev limit and still was limited to 5800rpm, this was Tech 2 verified.

Are you ditching the factory ECM, it sounds like that would be the only way to get rid of the 5800 rpm limit of teh 96-99 Vortec engines in the trucks.
I was able to raise the stock 5600 rpm limit up to 5800 with Tunercat though, so did ed, even though it the limit was set to 6100.

Thanks

Pauly
Old 11-23-2005, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Pauly, I do not know how I am going to do it with the stock PCM. If this is the case it will be shifting at 5750 lol. There hasto be a hidden table in there somewhere that TC has not found. I hope they fix it with one of there updates. BTW he already bought the E-tecs. I do like the fastburns and have played with them so I decided to try something new. I think they will stack up pretty well agianst the ol fastburns which are great heads.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:56 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

OK cool man, I thought you may have found a fix for the rpm limit or something. Damn.

The only thing about the Fastburn heads are their Dport exhaust ports. What do ya run for headers?? Do ya weld up some normal headers or hve you found some d port headers??

thanks man
Hog
Old 11-25-2005, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I am just making square style to match the e-tec heads. You can get d-port flanges and gaskets. Its just a matter of making a die to for the ends of the tubes to make the d-port. You have to do the same with the sqaure ports anyhow.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BeefTip
well, the big prob w/the 96-98 + a few 99 5.7 vortecs is that you cant really upgrade the fuel system so that limits you in the power department. I would check out ls1truck, some of those guys have put the lsx based engines in there trucks, i have thought about it myself but im not too mechanically inclined so probably not.
the TPI lower and upper intake that fits Vortec heads is just under 300 bucks, pull a tpi set up off of a 3rd gen camaro at your local junk yard for under another 300 and your good to go, problem solved.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes thats fine with a stockish cam, but if you want to make big power and you are doing all the work anyhow, I would opt for the shorter runners of a ram jet. Or get a Carbed intake and make a CNC adapter like I do for the 4.3l's.
Its a nice idea though would be pretty cool on a really mild low rpm setup.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the money of the marine intake wouldnt it be just as cheap and easy to buy a setup from edlebrock, accel, holley etc... I know to use most of those you have to have the spacers from holley, not sure how good those would work though. Just an idea since I am stuck with the gool ol vortec 350 as well
Old 12-08-2005, 10:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It would cost you about 220 for a intake and about 150 for a custom cnc'ed adapter from me (Doctors of Performance). Then you would have the injector bungs welded into the intake and custom fuel rails. Bringing you to about $600 for a intake, rails, and a adapter for you TB to bolt on just as it did stock. You have no option for EGR this way though. Also you will need a aftermarket thermostat housing and you can use the stock dist.

Quick Reply: 96 tahoe w/CPI 5.7 want power