INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

6L rod length

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 03:05 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Those are 11.5:1 pistons with a 64cc chamber, still over 10;1 with 72cc... I believe that's another point where ill be screwed. Finding LOW COMPRESSION pistons +.060 for a stock rod... I'm looking to be low 9's for compression, I've heard about machining dishes in the pistons but I've also heard that's a no-no....
Old 11-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the words of smokey yunick. "Install the longest damn rod that will fit in your engine".
Old 11-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Those are 11.5:1 pistons with a 64cc chamber, still over 10;1 with 72cc... I believe that's another point where ill be screwed. Finding LOW COMPRESSION pistons +.060 for a stock rod... I'm looking to be low 9's for compression, I've heard about machining dishes in the pistons but I've also heard that's a no-no....
Send them to Richard and have him open up the cubustion chamber.... I couldn't resist the price. I got me some .010 pistons for my BBQ special...
Old 11-21-2008, 12:07 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

408 with PT88!

Much more fun than a 375
Old 11-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
408 with PT88!

Much more fun than a 375
If one pt88 Is good 2 is better right!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Banned

silver- if you want i know where you can get crank and rods for cheap i think it will make it a 402 i'll check
Old 11-21-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, keeping stock rods and just doing pistons.

I'm just having problems finding 4.060" pistons for 6.100" rods.

I'm really not wanting to shell out $120+ per piston for custom slugs

This motor is being built for boost....

WHAT!!!!! Why the hell would you waste your time with stock rods? Your either going to shell out money for custom pistons, or buy some rods. Pick one. I would pick option two.

R
Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
WHAT!!!!! Why the hell would you waste your time with stock rods? Your either going to shell out money for custom pistons, or buy some rods. Pick one. I would pick option two.

R
That's what I tried telling him. He's a cheap ***.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy

R
Because I'm pretty tired of throwing money at this thing right now honestly. Not that I'm a cheap ***, I have no problem spending money where it needs to be spent.

I'm not trying to build a 850hp motor and run 20+# of boost on it. The LS2 rods are plenty strong for what I'm wanting so why would I spend that if its un necessary, I could put that towards an intake manifold or elsewhere.hell, a new rifle for that matter I said 700 was a GOAL. But to be honest if it made 600 I'd be perfectly happy. You should know yourself there's plenty of STOCK motors making that kind of power... Overkill is nice to have sometimes but in this particular case, stock rods will be just fine...
Old 11-22-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Because I'm pretty tired of throwing money at this thing right now honestly. Not that I'm a cheap ***, I have no problem spending money where it needs to be spent.

I'm not trying to build a 850hp motor and run 20+# of boost on it. The LS2 rods are plenty strong for what I'm wanting so why would I spend that if its un necessary, I could put that towards an intake manifold or elsewhere.hell, a new rifle for that matter I said 700 was a GOAL. But to be honest if it made 600 I'd be perfectly happy. You should know yourself there's plenty of STOCK motors making that kind of power... Overkill is nice to have sometimes but in this particular case, stock rods will be just fine...

Yor throwing money at it because it sounds like you are cutting corners in the first place. Thats the story about people who are constantly throwing money at a project.

And to add a set of rods to the combo when you have to already balance, buy new bolts for the stock rods, resize for bearings, press pins, ect, is not much considering. In the end, its a few dollars more.

And if you are worried about throwing money in it, then wait till you break a stock rod because now that you have better pistons you think you can drive the truck harder, and snap, there goes another rebuild to throw money at.

As for playing around with stock motors, yes mine still holds, but if I had my motor open for new parts, I would not be cutting corners. I dont do it with my customers motors, and I dont do it with mine. Go a head and push your turbo setup to 900hp on a stock motor like mine, its more than just a good tune that keeps my motor together, its a combo of things. So you cant look at the stock motor aspect in the same way as your truck.

Rick

Quick Reply: 6L rod length