INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

5.3 For racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely agree with BudRacing. very mild cam. I just put a 5.3 cam together for my old beater and im kicking my self in the b@# # for not going bigger on the cam. I have a 621/625, @.050 227/235 duration...
arp a must thru entire engine.
rod bolts and rods receive the most punishment internally on high performance engines. GEN 4 rods a very affordable re-assurance.
double roller chain =overkill and pain in the ***. built 800hp ls with single roller comp cam adjustable timing kit wich allows you to do cam degree adjustments.
trunion upgrade = im on the fence about . because I have had a recent failure on comps upgrade even had a "caged" comp bearing arrive with multiple needles fallen out. I have decided to upgrade trunion with solid bushing trunion. have not had any issues. over 20 passes at the track (.700 lift cam).
ls7 lifters haven't let me down so far.
I have 3.5 cc domed piston with valve reliefs. .706 heads ported ,ls1 intake valve and decked .030 and had .095in .100 ex ptv clearance.
11.5:1ish 3500 stall circle d a little loose for the street but beast on the strip hits really hard.
cam selection should always accodmodate the application if you want it to rev really high you have to chase the duration numbers, big lift cams produce a lot of torque but fall off at the top of the rpm range. so its a give and take.