INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

4.8 going in a 99 S10

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 going in a 99 S10

I have recently been given a 4.8L out of a 2007 1500 truck. I would like to install this in my (was my sons) 99 S10 standard cab 2wd.

The truck has already been lowered. I plan on back-halfing it and running coilovers with a narrowed 9" or an extreme posi-trac rearend.

So, I want to add some horsepower to this little motor that can...my end goal is to have a twin turbo set up (if adding a second turbo is truly worth the cash), but I have no idea where to even start.

I will definitely start out with a single turbo, but I need to know what I need to do to the internals of the engine to get it where it needs to be. Cam? Should I change the flat top pistons to the 5.3 dished ones?...Please help coach me in the right direction...

OH...and this is my first post on this site too....I am from Georgia.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

You need a goal before we can suggest stuff. How much power, what fuel etc etc.

Twin turbo's is pointless, a single turbo will make the same if not more power in some cases and costs way less money. Less parts, less heat, less complication.

A late GEN 3 or any GEN 4 4.8 already has stronger rods, it could handle 800hp if you wanted it too.

At the minimum you'll need a 58x controller if the motor is from a NNBS truck, otherwise you need a 24x controller from a 99-07 classic body style. P01 computers are drive by cable and P59 computers are drive by wire. I'd suggest keeping with a P01 if the motor is not from a NNBS truck.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:22 PM

I want to be in the 6-700 range on power. I think that any more than that would overpower the truck without doing extensive mods to the suspension and framework.

the motor is from an 07 truck - if that helps at all.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

What 07 truck, there is a different in the motors. You'd need to know it's it a 24x or 58x crank trigger. That is, if you didn't get the harness and computer.

In a tiny truck like that 450-500hp will be useless power, it's going to spin for days at that power. It you could make it hook at 60-70mph roll with 500hp I'd be surprised on street tires and no suspension work.

Install motor, buy turbo kit, injectors and fuel system. That is a 450-500hp combo that will be nothing but fun to drive. Stock cam/heads, everything will take it no problem.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 PM

All I can tell you is that the motor was pulled out and swapped for a 6.0 in an 07 Chevy 1500 extended cab 2wd truck. I personally know the owner, so I can pretty much ask him anything I need to.

did not get transmission or computer or wiring harness. I figured a junk yard would be my friend for that part.

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you mean by the 28 or 54 (whichever numbers you said (I can't scroll up on my phone while I am responding) - but I am sure I can find out somehow....just tell me what to look for.

I openly admit that I am an idiot when it comes to this motor and I really hope that all understand that - even though I am a mechanical engineer by education and trade.

Suspension wise, I plan on running a 4-link and xoilovers with a Z-ed out frame. Will also relocate the fuel cell to the bed.

All I really want is a fun truck that will turn heads. I want it to be known that I am running a nice little V8 with a good sounding lobe in it and the turbo whine will be enough to make someone think twice about revving up on me - even though I couldn't give two sh*ts about racing anyone.

i would only want more power if I intended on going to the track...which, maybe down the road but mot right away.

I am headed down to my garage now to get a pic of what I have - then we can go from there to see if you can help me
determine what's next...

if this post post makes no sense, my phone is acting funny and I will correct in the morning
Old 07-26-2017, 08:09 PM

Plus I have a few misc. parts in a box (flywheel, some
pulleys, etc)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's a GEN 3 motor, so it's the older 24x crank trigger.

58x motor where in the NNBS body style that came along in 2007 as well. They also have the crank sensor on the front cover, which this engine does not have.

The other question now is, do you want to keep the Drive By wire throttle body or go with a basic cable throttle body?

My personal opinion is to go with a cable throttle body, it will be much easier for you. The DBW stuff would require the tac module, throttle pedal and throttle body to be all matching from the same donor vehicle. Seeing how you only have the throttle body it would cost you alot more money to buy those other items.

When you go junkyard searching or wherever you should look for a 2001-2002 harness and computer from a drive by cable truck. Those are the best years for harness's and computer operating systems. You'll also want to find a cable throttle body too.
The following users liked this post:
BigDeddie (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:35 PM

This is exactly the info I am looking for and I am very much appreciative of this. Thank you for not judging me on my intelligence level when it comes to this engine.

I will probably pick your brain even more if you don't mind - but will be tomorrow when I am at my computer and not my phone
Old 07-27-2017, 11:18 AM

So, a small change of conversation here but...what does NNBS stand for?

Back on topic:
I am assuming that this is an LT motor - correct? What is the difference between the LT and the LS?
Old 07-27-2017, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

The year range of the vehicle.

OBS is old body style.
NBS is new body style.
NNBS is new new body style.
K2XX is the newest once out now, 2014+.

OBS is 1988-1998, with some heavy duty models going to 2000 model year.
NBS is 1999-2007.
NNBS is 2007.5-2013.

That motor is still a LS motor, called a LR4 being a GEN 3 still.

LT motors didn't start until 2014 and are totally different. Direct injection, VVT, Active fuel management etc etc etc.