INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

4.8 or 5.3? how to tell difference?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So im getting nothing but excuses from this guy. Im just gonna sell the stuff he "gave" me as collateral. Still not gonna be enough to cover the loss though. Some people dont deserve to breath air. I guess lesson learned. I am now in the market for a motor from a REPUTABLE seller. Maybe ill keep just the block and heads and use it for mock up in the truck. This sucks.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should seek legal advice before you sell the collateral, no telling what he might say if the law gets involved. I dont know the guy and im not saying that hes a bad guy but most of the people that have jerked me around are the first ones to play innocent and point fingers.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little bit of an update for anyone that cares. I finally got around to tearing down this motor to find out what damage is involved. I will post up pics later when i get a hold of a camera. It looks like that number 1 rod bolts let go, that rod is broken. The number 2 rod is bent. The timing chain was broken. The crank is mangled on the first two main journals and the rod journals for cyl 1 2 3 and 4. So in a nut shell this thing is now a boat anchor. I am going to gut the block and heads, put some of the tins back on, and use it for mock up. At least i can use it for that.

Once i close on our new house on tuesday, i am going shopping for a new motor. Complete with all acc. and wire harness. Drop me a pm if any one has a line on one cheaply that may be close to my area (SLC).
Old 05-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my buddy bought a "fully rebuilt 350" from a guy 2 months ago for $400. He doesnt know a thing about motors. He then turned around and traded it to my bodyguy for some work on his bed, shaving stuff, whatever.

Well my bodyguy asks me to come look at it and make sure its what the original seller said it was....sure enough I get there, the block has a fresh coat of paint, complete with runs lol. There was an inch of dirt and grease between the flywheel and block, the valves were all crusted up with carbon.....I took the oilpan off (had new oil in it at least) and you could see that when he sprayed the block with paint, the pan mustve been off cause the crank was all red with overspray.

So I told him "this aint no rebuilt motor, but to be sure, lets look at the bearings" Pulled one of the rod caps, and sure enough, those bearings looked like they had 200,000 miles on em, all scarred and pitted. This motor was supposed to have been rebuilt and never ran since.

So either way, guy didnt get his bed fixed, or his $400 back, and I ended up buying the motor from him for $50 cause I wanted the aluminum intake off of it lol. Ended up tearing the motor apart for ***** and giggles, it had already been bored .060 and the crank had been grinded to 20 thousanths.......so it was rebuilt sometime before but it wasnt fresh when we got it!

I dont understand how people can screw other people and not even think about it.