INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

2008 suburban cam swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 suburban cam swap issues

2008 suburban with a dod/afm delete. Swapped in a 224/230 112+3 .500lift cam into it while i had it apart. No springs required but i did swap them out anyways to ls6 springs. I was recomended this cam when i ordered my delete kit. Been working with a tuner and he is working in the right direction but im worried that this is just too much camshaft for my setup.

Cam installed dot to dot with a arp 3 bolt cam to newer gen motor conversion kit. New timing chain, new chain tensioner setup, new melling oil pump for a older non afm/dod motor installed, factory length afm/dod pushrods reused (dont notice any valvetrain noise).

We have been working on getting it to start and idle decent but ive currently got a po300 code, service stabilitrak, service brake system, and map sensor performance codes. Looking at the logs ive only got like 10psi of manifold vacuum so im assuming that is the reason for the service brake system message and the map sensor performance codes?

Ive sprayed the intake manifold down with brake cleaner thinking maybe i had a leak to account for the low vacuum but i havent found anything.

Suburban is for my wife and kids so it needs good driveability and good brakes. If this combination isnt going to make enough vacuum for good brakes it isnt gonna work. If im going to be looking at constant check engine lights, or service other vehicle system lights it aint gonna fly either. Ive seen videos of earlier trucks running same lsa but bigger lift cams that dont seem to have near the issues im having with this one. Im really starting to wonder if this ecm and other systems on this burban just arent going to work.

Anybody else run similar setup or bigger on their afm/dod deleted motor? What had to be shutoff/what kind of service messages do you have to deal with?
Old 03-04-2018, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by rennat_2006
2008 suburban with a dod/afm delete. Swapped in a 224/230 112+3 .500lift cam into it while i had it apart. No springs required but i did swap them out anyways to ls6 springs. I was recomended this cam when i ordered my delete kit. Been working with a tuner and he is working in the right direction but im worried that this is just too much camshaft for my setup.

Cam installed dot to dot with a arp 3 bolt cam to newer gen motor conversion kit. New timing chain, new chain tensioner setup, new melling oil pump for a older non afm/dod motor installed, factory length afm/dod pushrods reused (dont notice any valvetrain noise).

We have been working on getting it to start and idle decent but ive currently got a po300 code, service stabilitrak, service brake system, and map sensor performance codes. Looking at the logs ive only got like 10psi of manifold vacuum so im assuming that is the reason for the service brake system message and the map sensor performance codes?

Ive sprayed the intake manifold down with brake cleaner thinking maybe i had a leak to account for the low vacuum but i havent found anything.

Suburban is for my wife and kids so it needs good driveability and good brakes. If this combination isnt going to make enough vacuum for good brakes it isnt gonna work. If im going to be looking at constant check engine lights, or service other vehicle system lights it aint gonna fly either. Ive seen videos of earlier trucks running same lsa but bigger lift cams that dont seem to have near the issues im having with this one. Im really starting to wonder if this ecm and other systems on this burban just arent going to work.

Anybody else run similar setup or bigger on their afm/dod deleted motor? What had to be shutoff/what kind of service messages do you have to deal with?

Sounds like you need a better tuner.

A cam with those specs will **** off the misfire monitors, hence p0300.

I tuned my 226/236 .600/.600 @ 110 cam without much of an issue. Perfect idle, drivability as well.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Launching!

What year truck and how much vacuum do you have at idle?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by rennat_2006
What year truck and how much vacuum do you have at idle?
2006 Thompson Motorsports LQ9.

No idea on vac, never measured it but I don't have any issues with the brakes or driveability.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Launching!

So im throwing a c0299 and c0561. C0299 is for lack of vacuum, i cant find anywhere online where if shows how low of vacuum will make the code set. At idle my map sensor is showing high 10's psi which from google tells me 21inhg.

I believe the c0561 is just due to the c0299 being thrown.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Been messing with this thing all day today trying to figure it out. Smoke tested intake manifold, sprayed brake cleaner all over it, and even rigged up a small hose on a small propane torch and put it all around the intake with no changes. I really dont think ive got any vacuum leaks anywhere at this point.

Engine just doesnt sound healthy at idle, it sounds like it is laboring and working itself to death just to stay idling. Hop on youtube and there are tons of trucks with 112lsa cams with alot more lift that sound and run the way they should.

From what ive found a stock 5.3l has around 20inhg of vacuum at idle, im going to confirm this with one of my other ls vehicles tomorrow. This one is no where near that, about half that actaully. Yes i completely understand that you lose some with a bigger cam but ive never heard of other throwing map sensor performance codes, service brake system, etc codes all for low vacuum after a cam swap.

Can anyone with a aftermarket camshaft post up what kind of vacuum their engine makes for me please?
Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Having the same problem with a BTR stage 4 truck cam. Got the P0300 code and traction control/Stabilitrak off. When I'm at idle traction control and StabiliTrak turn off then I go and they turn back on.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GmcSierra53
Having the same problem with a BTR stage 4 truck cam. Got the P0300 code and traction control/Stabilitrak off. When I'm at idle traction control and StabiliTrak turn off then I go and they turn back on.
He posted in a different thread that BTR was swapping him out to a stage 1 truck cam. I'm not sure what you are going to have to do. You need to get a vacuum measurement at idle to make sure you are having the same issue that he was.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Yes btr swapped me out, im hoping to get out there and pull it to install the btr stage 1 they sent me. Your more than likely gonna find you have like 12inhg of vacuum or so at idle.

Their tech support told me that the budget low lift cam i had was similar in size minus the lift of the stage 4. Wasnt recomended for a stock 5.3 and you have to run a higher stall converter. Your going to have low vacuum issues because of the valve overlap, that is going to turn the check engine light on for map sensor codes, the service brake system light on for low vacuum to booster, check engine light/service stabilitrak for misfires its picking up at idle due to cam size.

Some of this can be tuned out like for example the misfire codes but the service brake system youll be stuck with. Unless you have a bunch done to that engine and a higher stall that cam is way too much for you.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Specs on my truck are LongTube Headers, cold air intake, Btr stage 4 cam, hardened pushrods, ls6 springs, dod delete, vvt delete, ls7 lifters, built diff with 4.10 gears, yank 3600 stall, tuned by New Era Performance in Agoura Hills CA. its a 5.3 with a 6l80e. I only get the P0300 code and traction/StabiliTrak. no brake codes. I'm guessing its the misfire detection not being adjusted.

Quick Reply: 2008 suburban cam swap issues