Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Weird Exhuast Note/Ping Sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Weird Exhaust Note/Ping Sound

Hey guys, just installed long tubes over the weekend. New setup consists of 1 7/8" Speed Engineering long tubes, Speed Engineering y-pipe and a complete stock 6.2 exhaust (my truck is a 5.3). After making my own ball flange for the y pipe/exhaust connector and adjusting the y-pipe clamp about 6 times I finally took it for a drive. I have a weird "pingy" noise coming from the middle area of my truck. I know it isn't the driver side header clamp or the y pipe. I'm very positive it isn't the passenger or the flange clamp either. Could it be the stock muffler? The noise only starts around 2200-2500 RPM and up. I understand sounds amplify with the long tubes vs the stock manifolds but my 06 Silverado with the same Speed Engineering long tubes and Speed Engineering true dual x pipe exhaust didn't make this same noise at all in any RPM like this. I will try to make a video and attach later into this thread. Any other guys with similar setups have this issue? The truck will be tuned in about 3 weeks and hopefully a Borla XR1 replacing the stock muffler in a week or two. I might try to throw some e85 in it to see if it goes away.

Last edited by hunterbohanan23; 04-08-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Here is a short video
Attached Files
Old 04-08-2019, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Can't hear anything but loud *** exhaust.

I have the same setup you do, it leaked from everything big time. Those clamps that come with the speed engineering headers don't seal well at all, I had so many leaks with them that I figured it wouldn't have been much better if I didn't have clamps at all.

I went to oreilly and got some 3" wide band clamps, not the pre formed ones but the flat ones in the package/box. Those are a bit soft and conform to the pipe. I wrapped my pipes with a little aluminum foil then hammered those clamps down.

I still think I have a small leak or two and I've fought the leaks over and over, I think I'm just gonna say f it and weld mine
Old 04-08-2019, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 763 Likes on 534 Posts

I didn't hear anything unusual in that video.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:07 PM
Launching!

let me put together a better video tonight.. the majority of the exhaust note you’re hearing isn’t truly from the tail pipe. it’s like it’s resonating from the y pipe or somewhere. i just don’t think it’s leaking anywhere either though. i just picked up a new camera so i might try to mount it to the frame by the y pipe and go for a drive. thanks guys for at east the reply since my sound clip isn’t much to work with. ill reply back tonight
Old 04-08-2019, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by hunterbohanan23
let me put together a better video tonight.. the majority of the exhaust note you’re hearing isn’t truly from the tail pipe. it’s like it’s resonating from the y pipe or somewhere. i just don’t think it’s leaking anywhere either though. i just picked up a new camera so i might try to mount it to the frame by the y pipe and go for a drive. thanks guys for at east the reply since my sound clip isn’t much to work with. ill reply back tonight
Make it a little long so we have a good chance to listen and film from different areas of the truck. Cameras pick up sounds and sometimes amplify them too so the more ways and time you film the better.

But I can guarantee you you have leaks if you're only using the speed engineering clamps. I repositioned them many times and tried everything, they aren't wide enough to fully cover the slits in the pipe or go over and seal to the other pipe. I fought that battle for a while before I gave up on them.

Also check on the right side of the trans (passenger side) the heat shield makes light contact with the y pipe, I pushed mine over just a hair by hand. Also make sure the y pipe isn't hitting the trans crossmember, it comes real close to it.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 763 Likes on 534 Posts

Guess I got lucky. I just crawled under mine and I don't have any soot stains from leaks or feel any air coming from the joints while at idle.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Launching!

short clip i made on the way home from Autozone. Listen through speakers or headphones if possible. it starts doing it right around 2500+ RPM

Old 04-08-2019, 06:27 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I hear what I think is like a rattle sound right before it shifts. Is that what your talking about???
Old 04-08-2019, 06:29 PM
Launching!

yes.. with headphones you can really hear it from shift 2-3... nothing is touching. and it only does it from 2500+ rpm. could it be the stock tune? i wouldn’t think so, but never know

Quick Reply: Weird Exhuast Note/Ping Sound