Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Stock air intake vs K&N CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

am not saying its night and day difference , with a tune it actually help without maybe 10% i changed it with a drop in dry filter so maybe its all in my head
Old 10-19-2017, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

The throttle blade opening rate is adjusted in the tune. It is very lazy from the factory.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does cutting the airbox to enlarge the hole increase low frequency drone under acceleration ?

Does replacing factory air intake tract with MIT increase low frequency drone under acceleration ?

OR is it combination of both?

I love a good exhaust note but hate the low frequency drone caused by air intake changes (similar to sound of flipping over air cleaner lid of 1980's and earlier oem air cleaners).
Old 09-08-2018, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
The tube didn't do anything on it's own on my 2015. Once I cut the front fender and the box to match there was a noticeable gain... the box is the problem.. not so much the tube. Blackbears test shows it too.. the mit was basically the winner with the gmt900 air box on it... why? The whole side of the box was wide open and not half closed off.
Does cutting the airbox to enlarge the hole at fender increase low frequency drone under acceleration ?

Does replacing factory air intake tract with MIT increase low frequency drone under acceleration ?

I hate drone sound so considering installing high flow dry filter in oem air box with hole(s) cut in front OR possibly S&B air box with large dry filter to oem intake tract.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Does cutting the airbox to enlarge the hole at fender increase low frequency drone under acceleration ?

I hate drone sound so considering installing high flow dry filter in oem air box with hole(s) cut in front OR possibly S&B air box with large dry filter to oem intake tract.
Anything you do will increase drone lol. That's why that batwing looking thing and snaky pipe are on the stock intake. I did drive the truck just before I sold it with the box still cut and the stock air intake tube and it was just like stock. Opening up the box upstream of the filter doesn't make much difference if any for sound.

Oddly enough the 2017 2500HD I have now with the 6 liter still has the nice GMT900 style air intake and I am not going to touch it unless I go e fans and then I will use a gmt900 mit.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Anything you do will increase drone lol. That's why that batwing looking thing and snaky pipe are on the stock intake. I did drive the truck just before I sold it with the box still cut and the stock air intake tube and it was just like stock. Opening up the box upstream of the filter doesn't make much difference if any for sound.

Oddly enough the 2017 2500HD I have now with the 6 liter still has the nice GMT900 style air intake and I am not going to touch it unless I go e fans and then I will use a gmt900 mit.
Just to confirm, are you saying you feel the gains are in less restrictive box and filter?......Tube adds little to no performance, mainly adds sound?

If yes, I agree based on my previous 2011 Silverado 1500 6.2L. I removed MIT tube for trade-in at dealership and left the modified (cut) stock box and felt no difference. In fact the truck seemed quicker (placebo effect) because the drone was gone and the motor sounded as if load was removed. IMO the deep "brhhhh" (drone) sounds like motor is straining to pull rather than representative of power from a crisp exhaust sound.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

No idea what the truck performed like after the intake went back to the stock tube. If you read what I had posted a year ago or whatever above the intake mod helped fix my truck from nosing over at around 5100 rpm so in saying that yes it helped power lol. In March of 2017 I sent that truck to the US to auction... so some poor bastard south of the border would now own that heap.. it would have been best to send it to the crusher lol.

I never found there to be any drone with mine though in saying that... ever. Sure the mit tube made the engine noise louder but it didn't drone. The 6.2 F150 I had on the other hand droned like mad with an aftermarket intake to the point it was annoying but no GM truck I have had either LS or LT powered ever has.
The following users liked this post:
NemesisC5 (09-11-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Any body got a picture of what you did to the stock air box and fender?