Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Magnaflow 12909 with headers and no cats, quieter than I thought it would be

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
The 5.3 is starting to eat a lot of oil (ran out between the last oil change). I'm thinking 6.2.
I am too. But mine has used a lot since I got it, figured it was just how it is with these things. I burn approx .75 quart per 1000 miles. So on a 6-7k change it's not uncommon to put 4 ish quarts in before the next change
Old 05-13-2020, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 765 Likes on 535 Posts

Begs the question why bother changing anything but the filter.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I would have seen this before I created the monstrosity under my truck. Sounds real good.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

that is quite quiet.

how does it sound while driving?

i just have a corsa catback (sounds like a mix btwn touring & sport) on mine. its noticeable on cold startup.... quiet on warm startup
sounds healthy while driving & loud when full throttle

LTs & no cats would probably be quite loud
Old 05-14-2020, 02:22 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

It may be quiet and mellow today... check back in six months after the packing has broken in (burnt/blown out). Installed two 14" Magnaflows (12219) little over a year ago and to be honest I didn't like it at first because it was a little to quiet. After a few months It had the perfect sound I was looking for... a year later it was much to loud. I installed a couple Vibrant resonators to bring it back more to my liking.

Magnaflow 12909 with headers and no cats, quieter than I thought it would be-gku26du.jpg
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
Begs the question why bother changing anything but the filter.
LOL

Originally Posted by pmoore4321
I wish I would have seen this before I created the monstrosity under my truck. Sounds real good.
That sucks, we all go through that though.

Originally Posted by gat0r
that is quite quiet.

how does it sound while driving?

i just have a corsa catback (sounds like a mix btwn touring & sport) on mine. its noticeable on cold startup.... quiet on warm startup
sounds healthy while driving & loud when full throttle

LTs & no cats would probably be quite loud
So far it's very faintly noticeable. On the way to work I drove the whole trip with the radio off listening for it. It's very quiet when pulling away from stops and on the highway you can hear just this faint low tone. It's very light and tolerable.

From what I've heard and from the playing around with the exhaust on this truck I'm sure yours would be screaming loud with headers and no cats. When my truck was stock ish, I pulled the catback off and ran it with open y pipe, stock manifolds and cats, and it wasn't loud at all.

I ran it with open headers a couple of days later and it was a billion times louder.

Originally Posted by RedXray
It may be quiet and mellow today... check back in six months after the packing has broken in (burnt/blown out). Installed two 14" Magnaflows (12219) little over a year ago and to be honest I didn't like it at first because it was a little to quiet. After a few months It had the perfect sound I was looking for... a year later it was much to loud. I installed a couple Vibrant resonators to bring it back more to my liking.
(deleted the pic just to keep responses easier to see)
I'm glad you posted that, I was wondering about that and thought I had heard someone mention that in the past. I've had magnaflow on a mustang for a couple of years and didn't notice a change and I had a magnaflow on this truck for a short period of time before I changed it all up and that one stayed the same. But neither setup had headers... and both had cats.. this setup is much more prone to getting loud. I was strongly considering pulling the resonator. I may rethink that, or if I do I'll make sure to keep it in case I want it put back in.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

My last 12909 didn't get any louder really with my last truck. Maybe just a tad. The muffler I put on was used but I'm not sure how long the guy ran it before he pulled it off.

I'm telling you cut the resonator off LOL. You can cut it at the flat spot right before the resonator. That way you can use a band clamp to put it back on for inspections. (I know you don't have to worry about that). But I had one garage give me hard time about not having a pipe the exited the vehicle. So I keep mine under the house just incase.
00pooterSS (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Man that really does sound good. Could definitely be a little louder for my liking I think, but still sounds great.

I’m definitely going to have to change up my exhaust completely with the fiberglass bedsides going on. Considering strongly going with the 12909 and a bedside exit before the tire. Should give a little more loud but keep the quality sound of the Magnaflow.
00pooterSS (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jonblarc7
My last 12909 didn't get any louder really with my last truck. Maybe just a tad. The muffler I put on was used but I'm not sure how long the guy ran it before he pulled it off.

I'm telling you cut the resonator off LOL. You can cut it at the flat spot right before the resonator. That way you can use a band clamp to put it back on for inspections. (I know you don't have to worry about that). But I had one garage give me hard time about not having a pipe the exited the vehicle. So I keep mine under the house just incase.
If I do it I'll have a little tail section built for it and maybe set it up for a clamp so I can swap the tails to my liking.

Originally Posted by bangbangskeetskeet
Man that really does sound good. Could definitely be a little louder for my liking I think, but still sounds great.

I’m definitely going to have to change up my exhaust completely with the fiberglass bedsides going on. Considering strongly going with the 12909 and a bedside exit before the tire. Should give a little more loud but keep the quality sound of the Magnaflow.
Thanks man. And that would be a sweet setup too. I thought about doing it before the tire but I wanted to put it on with the resonator and start there.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am running LTs with 1.75" primaries going through 2 spun high flow cats (3") then merging to a single 3.5" and going through the 22" 12909 AND then also a 14" 14151. It's definitely not as quiet as a stock truck. I was actually considering making it a touch quieter by adding a stock 6.2L resonator and now that I read that the magnaflows will get louder over time, I will be looking for one to try out. I have this in a 95 extended cab truck BTW.

Edit- This is on a 5.3L currently. Has a nice deep tone though. The definitely happy with how it sounds. I am in process of putting together a 370 that will have a blower so we'll see how that sounds. Once the interior is back together and installed it may be fine.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 12909 with headers and no cats, quieter than I thought it would be