Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

L83 Cam Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default L83 Cam Swap

Ok, who has DONE this? Not paid someone to do this but actually done the work. I am finding out that there is more to it than I thought, for example,

1. You can not get the timing chain off without removal of the oil pump.
2. According to GM if you don’t have special tool #xxxxxxxx to keep the oil pump in alignment when you remove it you must replace it.
3. You can’t get the oil pump off if you don’t remove the oil pan.

Any one done it with the motor in the truck and if so how hard was getting to all of the head bolts or studs (like I am using) to torque them. Why rhe random 13mm Allen headed bolt holding the head down on the drivers side head. Do any of the head bolts get into water jackets requiring thread sealant?

Those are a few of the things I have come across and some questions so far. Any help here is appreciated.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

This was the response I thought I would get. I think you are better off pulling the engine to do this swap.

I will try to make a list of the things that have been difficult to say the least. One of them is, there are two 12 gauge ground wires that come out of the harness and bolt to each of the cylinder heads, I could not get the bolts out. I ended up cutting the wires an I will splice them back together. I hate to do stuff like that but I did.

Another thing that I noticed is that the lifters only have an oiling hole on one side of them. I don't know if other gen LS motors are this way but its a good thing to catch.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

all i know about cam swap in this gen it's pain in the a** to say the least , pulling engine out may make it easy to do it .
Old 12-22-2017, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Boost-freak
all i know about cam swap in this gen it's pain in the a** to say the least , pulling engine out may make it easy to do it .

That it is sir! and the engine is coming out. I have to swap the converter anyway and it will make it a lot easier to torque the heads with it out.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok the special tool is for oil pump positioning or so GM says. Funny thing is if you install a new pump the tool is not needed. Don’t ask me why but I have seen the pumps be removed and reinstalled without the tool. As for yanking the engines. It’s crazy how fast you can pull the engine out of a 1500. I have seen it done in just about 2 hours. Yank the grille, condenser, radiator. Then unplug the harnesses, unbolt trans, keep all accessories on and remove the intake manifold, unbolt the y pipe, lift up slightly and pull the engine straight out the front. Also you can swap cams without unbolting the cylinder heads and leaving the engine in the truck. Hotrod magazine has an article where they did this in a C7 Vette.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like this
Old 12-22-2017, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GR8TALK
Like this
Haha! I’m not far from that. I have heard to use 3 .015 or .0015 feeler gauges to line up the oil pump. Yes heads on if you are keeping VVT/DOD. I didn’t pull the A/C condenser since I don’t want to have to get it recharged.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:46 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be done in the truck its just alot of work.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Yea it’s coming out. Like I said need to swap the converter anyway. Now I just need to figure out how to get an engine hoist in my Mini Cooper.......merry Christmas
Old 01-02-2018, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Any one in the Austin or surrounding are that has a cherry picker and is willing to bring it to me so I can get the engine out? I will buy your gas and beer. Or load you up some ammo for your trouble.

Quick Reply: L83 Cam Swap