GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Headers and Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have a nice set for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183630096318

With a vibrant resonator and a big dynomax muffler it wasnt too loud...only when you dropped the hammer. Ended up going to stainless works true dual to better suit the sawp I have coming shortly.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

I just did Speed Engineering headers on my truck. Picked up 3-4 mph at my test spot. Uphill entrance ramp approx 1000 ft from stop sign to the spot I measure at.

I have a stock 6.2 catback on mine (I have a 5.3). And it's super quiet. I want to swap the stock muffler for a magnaflow and leave the stock resonator but my friend that has a muffler shop that just got rid of a 17 6.2 truck said it'll be too loud. Another buddy said he had to double stack magnaflows to get it quiet enough.

I agree with FFDP all the way, corsa just louder and has a shiny tip, no other advantage over the stock piping that is also 3.5". The only exception to that is the flapper needs to be cut out of the stock exhaust and if you want it loud swap the muffler.

If you want it quiet and to perform sell the corsa and put the stock back on with headers and get the flap cut out. I saw big gains when I just cut the flapper out of my stock exh and swapped the stock muffler to a straight through magnaflow. Speed engineering are $399 direct from speed engineering and since I ordered mine from them I got the new set with the updated/upgraded clamps and bolts... that still suck. But suck less.

If you order from somewhere else you may get a set that's older unless they drop ship from speed engineering.
The following users liked this post:
qwank (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Next mod on my list is Speed Engineering headers and dual exhaust. Good to hear the positive reviews keep coming in.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I just did Speed Engineering headers on my truck. Picked up 3-4 mph at my test spot. Uphill entrance ramp approx 1000 ft from stop sign to the spot I measure at.

I have a stock 6.2 catback on mine (I have a 5.3). And it's super quiet. I want to swap the stock muffler for a magnaflow and leave the stock resonator but my friend that has a muffler shop that just got rid of a 17 6.2 truck said it'll be too loud. Another buddy said he had to double stack magnaflows to get it quiet enough.

I agree with FFDP all the way, corsa just louder and has a shiny tip, no other advantage over the stock piping that is also 3.5". The only exception to that is the flapper needs to be cut out of the stock exhaust and if you want it loud swap the muffler.

If you want it quiet and to perform sell the corsa and put the stock back on with headers and get the flap cut out. I saw big gains when I just cut the flapper out of my stock exh and swapped the stock muffler to a straight through magnaflow. Speed engineering are $399 direct from speed engineering and since I ordered mine from them I got the new set with the updated/upgraded clamps and bolts... that still suck. But suck less.

If you order from somewhere else you may get a set that's older unless they drop ship from speed engineering.
exactly what i was thinking/posted earlier. I def think headers, off road y and corsa would be stupid loud for us daily. Just corsa alone sounds good. If you want headers and y pipe, im guessing stock muffler (no flap) and toss my polished tip on it. You picked up 3/4 mph in 1000 foot untuned? i would a tune with the headers and y pipe is going to make the biggest dif power wise. Im really thinking about these more and more when i should be leaving my truck alone and getting a car.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by qwank
Next mod on my list is Speed Engineering headers and dual exhaust. Good to hear the positive reviews keep coming in.
I'll likely do a review thread. The ONLY bad part at all about the headers is getting the slip fit pipes to seal. But that's a problem with all slip fit. But I came up with a cool cheap solution today that doesn't involve welding, or sliming them with high temp RTV. Oreillys sells 3" wide band clamps that form to the pipe when tightened. Wrap the area with aluminum foil and tighten the **** out of the clamps and voila no leaks. The foil will take the heat and it's soft so it'll squish into the uneven areas and seal up. The clamps that come with the headers are updated but if you use them be ready for a lot of leaks. Especially if you keep the stock 5.3 exhaust because you have to install the reducer that comes with the kit and it's 2 pieces so there's another area to leak. The headers fit PERFECT. They hit nothing and slip right in. These things are NICE for the money. Actually for any money. I can't see a reason to pay 1k more for a different brand.

Originally Posted by Choda
exactly what i was thinking/posted earlier. I def think headers, off road y and corsa would be stupid loud for us daily. Just corsa alone sounds good. If you want headers and y pipe, im guessing stock muffler (no flap) and toss my polished tip on it. You picked up 3/4 mph in 1000 foot untuned? i would a tune with the headers and y pipe is going to make the biggest dif power wise. Im really thinking about these more and more when i should be leaving my truck alone and getting a car.
Untuned the truck went the same exact speed at the spot. To be clear it was already tuned but not for the headers. Once the tune was corrected for the headers and 3.5" exh it picked up considerably. (3-4 mph that's been repeated a few times)

Funny story. We took my wifes new car to get tinted last Saturday and on the way there we raced, then we went back home and Sam came over and tuned the truck. We went to pick her car up and on the way back we raced a few times. There was a big difference. When I first put the headers on I was bummed because it seemed like it was making the same power or less. Getting the tune corrected for them made a big difference in the before and after headers situation.
The following users liked this post:
qwank (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

^^ youre not helping my "dont buy them" decision.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Choda
^^ youre not helping my "dont buy them" decision.

LOL, uh don't do it man. If you do headers you're gonna have to deal with going faster and it's so annoying.

They are a little noisy compared to the stock manifolds and Y pipe. But it seems like it's all from the Y pipe, my truck is very quiet under the hood for having headers and a couple of other people agree. I didn't look but I suspect the Y pipe is made of thinner metal and therefore you can hear it a bit. But I also have stock 6.2 cat back so I can hear everything since it's so quiet. If you have a louder catback you wont notice the Y pipe sound. It's not horrible, it's just something I noticed. And it's at higher throttle. Low throttle its quiet.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

is it worth have header long tube with factory cats and run any kind of muffler. I want sounds loud and good. RIght now I run straight pipe no muffler box but I wasnt sure if need to remove 3rd cat I dont know what it call. I know I still have 2 cats on front as well.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions

I have Speed Engineering headers. I ordered a Texas speed catted y pipe. I didn't realize the y pipe has the flare connection for the Texas Speed headers. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️Should I just trim the flare off and use clamps or have it modified at a muffler shop?