PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-k2xx-trucks-general-discussion-221/)
-   -   Flapper off........... (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-k2xx-trucks-general-discussion-221/flapper-off-554607/)

Mark Johnson 01-23-2019 01:25 PM

Flapper off...........

Finally got around to cutting out the exhaust flapper and how I wish I'd of gotten to this sooner, really don't like the spring tension. But now it's off and over all the truck runs smoother...………..

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.per...3834992b59.jpg

Bgbldodge 01-23-2019 01:58 PM

Can you post a picture of it opened?

Mark Johnson 01-23-2019 02:17 PM

Here it is open, really don't like the tension needed to open that up...………….

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.per...03a7fd465d.jpg

Jake75 01-23-2019 02:34 PM

could it have been tie wired open?

Mark Johnson 01-23-2019 02:48 PM

I have heard of folks doing that as well as welding them open; I've also gathered that there is a round outer knob as opposed to the square one that I have...……..

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.per...5e54e91ee7.jpg

arthursc2 01-23-2019 04:10 PM

so is exhaust pressure supposed to push that open? Its passive, rather than active?

Mark Johnson 01-23-2019 04:27 PM

Right- passive and that you need pressure to 'punch' it open. It feels less labored now and a touch more growl.....

arthursc2 01-23-2019 04:33 PM

hey, off topic but if your location is accurate we should meet up!

Otherwise, glad you cut that thing out. Im interested to hear if MPG changes with the more flow. Does she feel any different up top?

Mark Johnson 01-23-2019 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by arthursc2 (Post 5456181)
hey, off topic but if your location is accurate we should meet up!

Otherwise, glad you cut that thing out. Im interested to hear if MPG changes with the more flow. Does she feel any different up top?

Cool- yeah, where ya at, man? Keep ya posted on mileage as time goes on...………..:thumb:

arthursc2 01-23-2019 04:44 PM

Rio Rancho. Travel up your way every weekend May-Oct for mountain biking, and I have family up in Eldorado.

Mark Johnson 01-23-2019 04:55 PM

Son of a gun- I live in Eldorado, and starting on a mountain bike project myself. Did the Century back in 2017...…………...

arthursc2 01-23-2019 05:02 PM

well, I dont do that hahahaha

Imma a downhill/Enduro guy. I ride Angel Fire, Crested Butte, Keystone, Winter Park, etc. I ride the foothills in Abq, but only with the gf because the foothills are lame.

What is your normal steed? I am a Commencal and Intense guy myself. As a welder, I have a thing for hand welded bikes and I dont like the harshness of carbon frames so I am still rocking aluminum frames

Mark Johnson 01-23-2019 05:12 PM

I think it's a GIANT Sedona SE. Don't know what year- I had a flair to build a cruiser once got a putrid green frame off eBay stripped it with aircraft remover hunted down forks and everything else went overkill painting it after priming I wet sanded with 5 then 7000 grit paper, paint/ wet sanded, paint/ wet sanded, decals clear coat wet sand, clear coat wet sand. juggled chainrings and cassettes etc and took a stab at the century for kicks...….

ZO6Ted 01-23-2019 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2001 Sierra (Post 5456170)
Here it is open, really don't like the tension needed to open that up...………….

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.per...03a7fd465d.jpg

Sorry to derail the conversation gentlemen but shit I had no clue it blocked THAT much airflow. I guess I have to do something now especially since the Whip. Really appreciate the pics! OK back to visiting :)

00pooterSS 01-23-2019 09:00 PM

I cut mine out months back (edit did a magnaflow straight through muffler at the same time). Probably the single most impactful thing I've done to my truck so far.

I noticed a very considerable amount of power pick up and MPG. Honestly, it was a big change. I now go around telling everyone to cut theirs out, and do it yesterday.

Locking the flap open alone doesn't make as much of a change as some may think, I locked mine open for a while and didn't notice much, had it removed and the biggest thing I noticed was MPG was up a lot. But I did a magnaflow straight through muffler at the same time that I had the flap removed. The stock muffler by the flap isn't a straight through.

With all the rest of the exhaust stock, and just the magnaflow and the flapper. The sound was perfect. You could hear it fire up inside the house when you remote start it and hear a low low rumble. But driving it you hear damn near nothing. At very light throttle you hear a really deep tone, roll into the throttle and it kinda goes away. I super recommend that setup for guys staying closer to stock especially if you want just a little bit of sound but zero drone and not gonna annoy the neighbors.

Mark Johnson 01-24-2019 06:40 AM

Right, Pooter- that's what prompted me to altogether remove the flapper; I had seen pics of a flapper both closed and open and just wouldn't sleep well with it propped open leaving so much on the table...…………..

Bgbldodge 01-24-2019 11:28 AM

Anyone documented mileage gains? I see lots but don't have anything solid. I'll be removing it when I do the headers but if it's worth enough I may chop it out early if I get a minute. Mine is welded open right now just because it whistled like crazy.

Mark Johnson 01-24-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge (Post 5456230)
Anyone documented mileage gains? I see lots but don't have anything solid. I'll be removing it when I do the headers but if it's worth enough I may chop it out early if I get a minute. Mine is welded open right now just because it whistled like crazy.

Whistle, haven't hear that; I've heard of squeaking from the spring rusting up and stuff. Haven't been about enough to see mileage benefits or any advantage when wringing it out, yet...…………...

00pooterSS 01-24-2019 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge (Post 5456230)

When I got my truck it was stock except it had the K&N intake on it.
It got 11 MPG on e85 mixed city and highway. And 14 on gas.

Then I got it tuned and also had the 4 cyl mode deactivated. The gas mileage stayed about the same for the most part since it picked up a little mileage in v8 mode but no longer had 4 cyl mode it kinda equaled out

The day I got the flap cut out and the flap removed was the first time I ever got 16 mpg mixed city and highway on E 85
Put gas in it and got 19

I'd like to say it gave me 5 mpg but my testing wasn't scientifically exact. And all of this was just basing the MPG off of what the dash display said, not actually hand calculating mileage and staying on the same exact roads.

On the same exact roads I saw an increase of around 3 mpg. Some tanks I average around 16 and some around 18 where before best was 14.x. That's on gas and going my everyday route to work.

Yours may end up a little different since you have the aftermarket exhaust with the flapper and flapper bypass

When I cut out the flapper and got the muffler I called my tuner and said "you're not gonna believe this but I got a good 2-3 mpg from cutting the flap out and changing the muffler" he said "yeah I will you're not the first person to tell me that". He said he put a cat back on one of these trucks and the customer called him a couple of weeks later and said he got a couple of mpg additional from it.

Bgbldodge 01-24-2019 05:12 PM

I’m highly skeptical of it but it’s worth a shot. I already average 17.5-18 so I doubt I see any better. Makes me wonder if yours was stuck closed and never able to open. That I could see having an effect on mileage.

00pooterSS 01-24-2019 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge (Post 5456238)
I’m highly skeptical of it but it’s worth a shot. I already average 17.5-18 so I doubt I see any better. Makes me wonder if yours was stuck closed and never able to open. That I could see having an effect on mileage.

As hard as they are to twist open, you can bet they are always closed. Mine was not stuck, it rotated, but that spring is strong and I don't see the exhaust gasses alone pushing it open, they may. But I can't see it.

I'd be skeptical of what I wrote above too. Sounds like crazy bull shit. But I saw it, and it happened.

If you're getting that high of mileage you probably wont see a lot of gain. But who knows, my buddies wife's 17 denali 6.2 still has the flap and gets 20 mpg on the regular.

You also have the bypass pipe which I don't understand having a flap and a bypass.

But hey man, it's probably $50 at most to have it cut out and it'll increase flow. To me that alone is worth it.

Bgbldodge 01-24-2019 06:15 PM

Depending on how long I can sneak away from the family before they notice I may bust out the welder this weekend.

00pooterSS 01-24-2019 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge (Post 5456242)
Depending on how long I can sneak away from the family before they notice I may bust out the welder this weekend.

lol I hear that

Mark Johnson 01-25-2019 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge (Post 5456238)

At your earliest opportunity take it off. My flapper wasn't stuck, but that spring pressure sure requires a helluva lot of exhaust pressure to shove it open...…….

Bgbldodge 01-25-2019 08:44 AM

It's welded open currently.

Sc00by 01-25-2019 02:40 PM

Ill be looking at mine this weekend. Didn't realize these trucks had something like that. Just picked my new one up at then end of November.

arthursc2 01-25-2019 02:44 PM

You guys cutting yours out, can you save me one? I'll give you a couple bucks for it, but I wanna try to mess around with it for an "active" exhaust system

Bgbldodge 01-25-2019 07:38 PM

Was going to tackle mine this weekend but just learned my in laws are coming over.

00pooterSS 01-25-2019 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sc00by (Post 5456294)
Ill be looking at mine this weekend. Didn't realize these trucks had something like that. Just picked my new one up at then end of November.

Are you already pretty familiar with the MPG the truck gets say on a normal route? I'm curious to see what you'll see MPG wise. Again I also recommend replacing the muffler right next to the flapper because the pipe necks down there and because that muffler is chambered. The straight through magnaflow add's the slightest amount of sound where it's actually really hard to tell any change was made. But it's nice and far from annoying.

Your color truck and those wheels look damn good together btw

Originally Posted by arthursc2 (Post 5456295)
You guys cutting yours out, can you save me one? I'll give you a couple bucks for it, but I wanna try to mess around with it for an "active" exhaust system

Both of mine are long gone or I would man.

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge (Post 5456316)
Was going to tackle mine this weekend but just learned my in laws are coming over.

Sounds like a good time to come down with the flu lol. Everyone has it right now

Mark Johnson 01-26-2019 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by arthursc2 (Post 5456295)

You can have it, man. Say- I can drop it off sometime as I'm planning a trip to the boneyard in Albuquerque...………..

arthursc2 01-26-2019 08:34 AM

PM sent!

Atomic 01-26-2019 11:24 AM

Well I said I was not going to modify my 18 but I can definitely tell a difference when that flapper opens. Looks like I'm going to do something after all haha

Atomic 01-26-2019 01:37 PM

I just went and messed with mine, it's super easy to rotate with the spring so not sure how much I would benefit really. Does the valve rotate forward or back to open?

arthursc2 01-26-2019 05:39 PM

I would think back

Mark Johnson 01-27-2019 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic (Post 5456353)
I just went and messed with mine, it's super easy to rotate with the spring so not sure how much I would benefit really. Does the valve rotate forward or back to open?

Yes- it rotates back...…………….

00pooterSS 01-27-2019 08:31 PM

It can go either way really. It hangs straight-ish down when at rest and I could rotate mine both directions.

Here's a vid showing it if you haven't seen this yet

00pooterSS 01-27-2019 08:32 PM

I've noticed some of the flaps are different with a small hole in them. Mine looked exactly like the one in the vid

Mine was stiff enough to rotate that I have a hard time seeing the exhaust open it up. Would like to have been able to go pro it at WOT but I don't have a go pro..

First Sergeant 01-27-2019 10:22 PM

Question? if I do get a muffler welded in and the flapper removed,how soon will I need to get the truck tuned?

FFDP 01-27-2019 11:21 PM

Never.

Such changes will not require a tune. If you want other stuff done or to disable the AFM/DoD with a muffler change, that will require a tune or a OBD2 disable device they sell on ebay/amazon.

00pooterSS 01-28-2019 09:50 PM

Technically you shouldn't need a tune from it. Never a bad idea to look at the tune though when you make changes. And deleting the flapper and going to a straight through increases flow a considerable amount.

Do you have to? No. Should you? IMO yes. Will it hurt anything if you don't? Very unlikely.

All that being said, I'd get it tuned ASAP because there's a decent amount of power and MPG left on the table on the stock tune.