Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Would like to see pics of 2/3 drops

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like to see pics of 2/3 drops

I have a 2009 Silverado extra cab. It has the regional option package that has 20 inch wheels, tow package, bigger sway bar in front, G80 axle and 3:42 gears. I would like to lower it but keep the function of the truck for towing a car trailer and 67 Camaro.

I am not sure what the Z60 suspension package totally consist of but I know it’s the 20 inch wheels and sway bar, not sure if shocks and springs are changed or not. I am very happy with the ride, handling capability of the truck now, I would just like to look a little better.

I am thinking a 2/3 drop using shackles and removing the factory blocks in the rear. Not sure about the front. I have used springs (Hotchkiss) on my Camaro and they worked and looked great, then I went to coilovers in front. Is there a coil over option? I have seen options for springs, spindles and control arms. I have concerns about quality of the control arms and spindles. At the Camaro site I have seen pictures of broken china made control arms and have been reading a little here and other places about cracking spindles. Some info is subjective to how installs were done and using improper tools etc.

Would I be possibly just as happy with removing the rear blocks and leaving the front alone? Anyone have pictures of just this being done? It’s about a 1 inch drop right?

Here is a pictures of my truck just before leaving the lot on Oct 2 2009!! Only pic I have right now….To busy working to save up for that payment.

Name:  d3ef09bd.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  62.9 KB
Old 10-22-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Very nice truck chief!!

heres mine the ist pic is belltech kit 2" drop spindle and rear 2" shackle and remove factory block. it wasnt low enough for me lol.
Name:  denali2-3drop.jpg
Views: 3063
Size:  43.7 KB

and here is the final result about a month or 2 later.. added belltech adjustable shocks with 1 ring and 2" drop leafs on the rear for a total of 3.5"/5" drop.. and i have air shocks in the rear for when i tow my boat.. and have not had any problems, rides good.
Name:  denali-droped.jpg
Views: 2187
Size:  22.8 KB

hope that helps!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine with a 2/4 drop.

Here's mine with a 4/6 drop.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Teching In

heres mine the ist pic is belltech kit 2" drop spindle and rear 2" shackle and remove factory block. it wasnt low enough for me lol.

and here is the final result about a month or 2 later.. added belltech adjustable shocks with 1 ring for a total of 3.5"/5" drop.

The first shot looks like it would work for me. What's the scoop in the belltech shocks? It looks like they will lower it 1.5 inches from what you posted. Is there a part number for these? I worry about casting quality of spindles. If I used springs are there brands that are btter than others? I would think there is. What the best way to go and maintain alighnmnet on these trucks?

Thanks
Joe
Old 10-22-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1968_SS350
The first shot looks like it would work for me. What's the scoop in the belltech shocks? It looks like they will lower it 1.5 inches from what you posted. Is there a part number for these? I worry about casting quality of spindles. If I used springs are there brands that are btter than others? I would think there is. What the best way to go and maintain alighnmnet on these trucks?

Thanks
Joe
heres what the struts look like, Belltech adjustable strut part# 25003.
Name:  belltechstrut.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  4.4 KB

if you dont want to go with spindles, my next choice would be these. just because you keep your factory spring's. and well for a 2" drop u simply do not add any of the adjustting rings to the setup and it will lower ur truck 2".. rides very good.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Side note:

I have read that a lowered truck gets better MPG than lifted. Any thoughts? Anyone notice this or has it been less or the same?

Thanks
Joe
Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't noticed a difference.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

here's a chitty pic of my 4wheel drive , 2 and 3 drop

Name:  DSCN0118_1382.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  230.3 KB
Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

^^ looks good bro!

Originally Posted by 1968_SS350
Side note:

I have read that a lowered truck gets better MPG than lifted. Any thoughts? Anyone notice this or has it been less or the same?

Thanks
Joe
i did notice a litle gain as a matter of fact.. one time i was driving and hour out of the city.. so i set it cruise control and reset my mpg thing.. and at the end of the drive it stated i was getting an avg of 21.4.. before the drop the highest i ever got was 19.2 mpg or so.. havent tried again.. but i think it did make a slight difference.. although i never notice here in town since im allways getting on it lol.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CharlyNali6.2
^^ looks good bro!

i did notice a litle gain as a matter of fact.. one time i was driving and hour out of the city.. so i set it cruise control and reset my mpg thing.. and at the end of the drive it stated i was getting an avg of 21.4.. before the drop the highest i ever got was 19.2 mpg or so.. havent tried again.. but i think it did make a slight difference.. although i never notice here in town since im allways getting on it lol.
Did you put smaller tires on your wheels with the drop? If so that could affect the reading.
I like to watch my D.I.C. gas mileage for the hell of it, but I never trust it. It's consistantly off when doing the math manually after filling up.

BTW: I noticed no increase in gas mileage after the drop. Usually get upper 18's - low 19's combined during the warmer months.

Quick Reply: Would like to see pics of 2/3 drops