Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Weird things about 07+ trucks ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had no brake issues. I've gone through the stock 20's, 22's, 17's, 22's again, and now 18's. 30k miles and still work fine. I sure wouldn't say it stopped on a dime, but it stops like a truck should I suppose.

I would say there is a small lag in throttle, but my BIGGEST issue it the damn tranny. I hate how it slips going into 2nd. Like you guys said, it's probably the torque management. I tow 4000 pounds of boat and trailer and I don't really want any tranny problems.

You guys say a tune should help with throttle response and tranny response, so where's the best place in the DFW to get a tune?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Knight Rid3r
I've had no brake issues. I've gone through the stock 20's, 22's, 17's, 22's again, and now 18's. 30k miles and still work fine. I sure wouldn't say it stopped on a dime, but it stops like a truck should I suppose.

I would say there is a small lag in throttle, but my BIGGEST issue it the damn tranny. I hate how it slips going into 2nd. Like you guys said, it's probably the torque management. I tow 4000 pounds of boat and trailer and I don't really want any tranny problems.

You guys say a tune should help with throttle response and tranny response, so where's the best place in the DFW to get a tune?
yes, you are correct. I had Wheatley tune my truck and it REALLY cleaned up the 1-2 shift. I had him take out 50% of TM and it made the truck a joy to drive, well worth the money!

I dont know if this was said or not but have any of you guys gotten annoyed with the sound of the rain hitting the door, like right behind the window. When it rains hard and Im traveling down the highway, it gets pretty darn loud
Old 11-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
yes, you are correct. I had Wheatley tune my truck and it REALLY cleaned up the 1-2 shift. I had him take out 50% of TM and it made the truck a joy to drive, well worth the money!

I dont know if this was said or not but have any of you guys gotten annoyed with the sound of the rain hitting the door, like right behind the window. When it rains hard and Im traveling down the highway, it gets pretty darn loud

YES! I have heard that when it's been raining hard. I was driving home one day with a friend in the passenger seat and he complained that it was actually leaking on his side? Weird...I don't know. My driver side door has never leaked, but it does make an annoying noise.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so a tune is going to take care of that sluggish feeling? because my 08 Z71 is a freaking dog! I think torque managment is killing it but would getting rid of it kill the trans? but these are 4l65e's right?
also how the hell do you turn on the cargo light with out turning on the interior lights?
on my 05' there was a cargo light button but on my 08' nothing...
Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BerryWS6
so a tune is going to take care of that sluggish feeling? because my 08 Z71 is a freaking dog! I think torque managment is killing it but would getting rid of it kill the trans? but these are 4l65e's right?
also how the hell do you turn on the cargo light with out turning on the interior lights?
on my 05' there was a cargo light button but on my 08' nothing...
yes a tune will wake that sucker right up. When I went out for the 1st ride after uploading the tune, when the truck shifted I was like DAMN! I had to pull over to and feel the 1-2 shift again!

as for the cargo light, Ive wondered the same damn thing!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, does anyone have a really small squeak when the blower motor is on? Any time I have the heat/AC I can remotely hear a distinct squeak, and its driving me crazy. Guess I gotta bring it in.

Do they keep track of other things like my aftermarket rims on there? I didnt know if say in 5k miles I had a trans problem I went in with my 17s on the truck and they said well on 11/18 you came in with 24" rims etc...just curious...
Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

funny about the brakes, mine are better than any other truck I've had. Night and day between my wife's 02 tahoe, my old 02 silverado and others I've driven. All have 20's or big tires.

I hate the throttle delay, like somebody else said you can litterally floor the pedal and let off quick with no response whatsoever. I is actually a bit dangerous at times in my opinion. definitely annoying.

the door latches are flimsy (ext cab) and if I'm cornering and my knee or arm is against the door all kind of wind noise happens like you've got the window down. makes you wonder what would happen in a side impact. actually, I don't wonder I just know it would be bad.

I get that rain noise that the OP mentioned like it's raining in the cab too.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

my 09 has 20's on it i think the brakes are awesome. damn things will put you through the windshield if your not careful. throttle delay is horrible, as is the trans. dont know if mine has the 60e or 65e, nor do i know how to tell the diff. its a rcsb 4.8. other than the perf issues with it being a turd and all, i love the truck. ive put 25k hard miles on it and it hasnt even broke a sweat.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I pull the hell out of some trailers, most with cars or other equipment on them and i cant bitch about the brakes.. I dont even have trailer brakes so you can imagine the abuse they get.. I agree about the same spring less weight deal.. the rear of my truck was about 5 inches higher than the front. Talk about a RAKE!!! drop shackles fixed that..
Removed the block too.. And still pull trailers with no issues.. I too feel the nudge in the rear axle during initial stop at a light.. Not sure what causes that,, just annoying..
My only complaint is that once in a blue moon the truck will not start, the airbag light comes on and it dies.. Then you wait a minute and it will start..

I have replaced rotors once (overloaded)

I have fixed a trans pan leak and a third brakelight water leak..

Other than that, starts, drives stops and runs great..

Wouldnt have it any other way

Now it just needs a tune and a few other go fast goodies ive read so much about and it will be good to go another 25 years..