Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Tune vs Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been all through these trucks with gm TAC and our tech 2. If the all stock tune is present you are good to go. They do not have capability of reading past tune history even on the 2012 truck platforms.

However you can damm well bet there is a gm engineer lurking somewhere on here reading all these posts regarding way's around it so they are going to cornhole us on the next generation of truck pcms
Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They would anyway. Every new platform is getting Global A systems, so the unreadable ECMs will die out completely with the upcoming generation of every GM vehicle.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
There is countless threads on this. They can detect it and they will look for it. Did you read this thread at all?
I dont care what people think. My GM Service manager said they can not tell. As long as its flashed back to stock they can not tell if it has ever been tuned.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Your service manager is correct on this one subject.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

But like innovation always does we will find a way around it again. Don't know how many people here were deep into performance in the mid 90's but I still remember everyone tripping out about how OBD 2 was going to kill performance the apocalypse for the performance world was imminent.

Here we are 17 years later and it's better than it ever was then.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will add that I too have found no proof that the current gas trucks are capable of detecting previous tunes. I've spoken with guys I know at the GM Proving Grounds and they have stated the same thing...not currently possible, but you can bet on it for next years new design.

With that said, if you tune the truck, and it damages the powertrain, you should be responsible for it and not expect GM to pay for it.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Gotta pay to play" applies here. We are all big boys and girls, and should be prepared for the consiquences of our actions. IMHO, if you are in any way concerned that you won't be able to pay for a repair if your power train warrantee is voided on a major repair, KEEP YOUR VEHICLE STOCK! The day I bought my truck, I informed the service manager that I was going to do fairly extensive modifications including adding a supercharger. I am well aware that if I have an engine failer or any other powertrain problem, I'm on the hook for all repairs, and I'm just fine with that. Now, if my radio goes out and they try to claim that my engine modifications caused it, I'm going to raise a stink.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
I will add that I too have found no proof that the current gas trucks are capable of detecting previous tunes. I've spoken with guys I know at the GM Proving Grounds and they have stated the same thing...not currently possible, but you can bet on it for next years new design.

With that said, if you tune the truck, and it damages the powertrain, you should be responsible for it and not expect GM to pay for it.
Sorta my thought also. After blowing apart 3 pistons and the drivers side head I had a few people ask why I didn't put it all back to stock and try and get it covered under warranty. I feel if you decide to start changing things from the way it came from the factory then that's the gamble you take and if something happens it's on you to get it fixed, not the dealership.

Have to pay to play

My truck still has the factory and extended warranty and it still will cover items as long as I can prove that what broke was not a result of something I changed. Still lots of things that can go wrong that are not related to the performance mods I have added that is nice to be covered on
Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

im on the fence right now with gm accepting or declining, i have put everything back to stock programming but i dont feel my programer caused the damage. my oil pump failed and ruined the crank. being i dont drive the truck that hard, i average 18.5mpg in the hills all week long so that tells you how easy i drive it so i point the finger at gm right now on part failure. so i respectfully dissagree with myls1 and boober to a degree. but this thread was really helpful wish i would have scrolled a lil slower before i posted earlier lol
Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

buy puting a tuner on or CAI or exhaust if done correctly your only making the truck run better and not choked by the epa. those things are not going to cause a falure.

Quick Reply: Tune vs Warranty