Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Tow rig? Keep my 1/2ton or new dmax?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Keep in mind, that you cannot "custom tune" an LML (Last I checked, H&S was the only "good" option). HPT and EFILive do NOT, and will NOT support it. Also, kiss your warranty goodbye if you ever flash the truck with a non stock tune. Once you flash it, it is permanently stored in the ECM, that a non stock cal was written. Its a whole new ball of wax with the 2011+ Duramax trucks. This is a HUGE reason why I got a half ton gasser...I didn't want a "stock" Duramax w/ DPF and urea.
MYLSI is right about the tuning, H&S is the only tuner available that is considered to be "decent." Bullydog and Superchips also have tuners available, but have traditionally been poor options when compared to other tuners. DPF and Urea deletes are possible with the H&S, but any DMax that is '06 and newer will store non stock calibrations, and void the warranty.

With the cost difference in mind, is supercharging a possibility? Forced Induction should maintain hp at elevation. Not sure if the trans going to hold up to added power and all of the weight.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cameronmjohnson
Not sure if the trans going to hold up
... or the diff.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
... or the diff.
I dunno, it should hold up well with regular fluid changes. Unless your talking about the G80 itself.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
I dunno, it should hold up well with regular fluid changes. Unless your talking about the G80 itself.
I wasn't thinking of the locker itself so much, but was assuming it's a 10-bolt and that's a lot of weight to tow. I sure agree that regular fluid change would be mandatory in the 1500, but none of that would be an issue if he goes with a DMax.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
I wasn't thinking of the locker itself so much, but was assuming it's a 10-bolt and that's a lot of weight to tow. I sure agree that regular fluid change would be mandatory in the 1500, but none of that would be an issue if he goes with a DMax.
But then again he did say its an Annual trip. So once a year gear oil change wouldnt hurt anyway.
We changed the gear oil and xcase fluid in our work trucks every 6 months cause it was cheap insurance. And they went all over the US.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Experience counts - good info.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the good points. we never get diesels were I'm at so not sure on warranty claims. On a gasser only have to sudmit tune files on a engine replacement. But even stock it's way better then then my current truck.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

LBZ! LBZ! LBZ! Sorry.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

If I have to drop cash on turbo or supercharger and tune and exhaust and Coolers brakes ect.. I still dont think the trans can take it. I looked for a new truck with a 6.2 and tow package none local if i order one i dont get the rebates.Besides its the same money for this dmax after all the discounts.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your trans and diff should be just fine with the addition of additional cooling capacity.
The DMax trucks are better tow rigs hands down. Your truck would likely be more fun the rest of the year with the mods though. Of course a new DMax is under warranty for a long time while yours would pretty much be without once the mods started.

Quick Reply: Tow rig? Keep my 1/2ton or new dmax?