Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

To those with 2011's................

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
If you can find the parts for $300 bucks shipped with taxes in etc then im impressed. Regardless you still need a tune to delete the AFM in the PCM and there is no "cheap" way to do this. You either drop 5 or 6 bills on HP or the like or pay the $400 or so for someone to tune it out and have the hassle of either getting the truck to them or paying them to travel to you or doing a mail order which is not exactly fast/or cheap either.

Plus its not like every guy can just swap out of the AFM lifters and whatnot himself theres a good many who need to have this done. The only reason I keep harping on about it is how many guys actually believe you simply tune it out of the PCM and its over forget about which is not at all the case.

In terms of what your shopping for hey man its your money I really couldnt care less what you spend it on. FWIW I too would gladly remove AFM on my truck if it had it and I did just buy a 2011 and IMO its not worth the hassle of swapping out defective crappy parts on a brand new truck with warranty etc. If you dont care about that then thats great for you more power to you brother but its important to me and many others to have the warranty there.

Good luck on your purchases fellas
I understand your point about the tuning it out and forgetting it. I tuned mine out and drove 35k miles with it turned off. Granted, I didn't put a cam in it, but that was the plan. I just couldn't ever afford to have the truck down for a couple of days... school + oilfield = hell. Anywho... Luckily I don't have to worry about the old DOD problem with the truck I just purchased.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 2010 5.3 6speed with 3.08s. I got the 5.3 aware of the AFM because they don't build 6.2 reg cabs.

As for the original question, I do wish it had a deeper ratio and I already have 3.73s sitting under my desk at work waiting for a trutrack. That being said the 3.08s probably wouldn't be horrible with a tune so I'm not sure they would be a deciding factor for me because the 6 speed does pick up alot of the slack and a tune is something I would want regardless. But since the OP is looking at crew cabs I will say that the 6.2 is one hell of a motor if you can afford it.

The oil pump on the AFM trucks is no different then the others, but there IS additional costs involved in the delete that I don't believe is included in the kits.(head gaskets and head bolts plus the cam and springs you decide to use)
Old 12-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
I have a 2010 5.3 6speed with 3.08s. I got the 5.3 aware of the AFM because they don't build 6.2 reg cabs.

As for the original question, I do wish it had a deeper ratio and I already have 3.73s sitting under my desk at work waiting for a trutrack. That being said the 3.08s probably wouldn't be horrible with a tune so I'm not sure they would be a deciding factor for me because the 6 speed does pick up alot of the slack and a tune is something I would want regardless. But since the OP is looking at crew cabs I will say that the 6.2 is one hell of a motor if you can afford it.

The oil pump on the AFM trucks is no different then the others, but there IS additional costs involved in the delete that I don't believe is included in the kits.(head gaskets and head bolts plus the cam and springs you decide to use)
You are correct on bolts and gaskets. Then again, I only pay 17 bucks for factory head gaskets.