Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
I promise this truck has an afm engine uder the hood. I held the seperated lifter myself. Its well known that many of the early L92s had afm lifters too btw but I dont think they had the afm lifter manifold, just a standard valley cover. This engine has both afm lifters and the afm valley manifold. I will attempt to snap pics monday if anyone still has doubts.
Every GM engine after 2009 that DOESN'T have DoD has LS7 lifters. Just a heads up.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gnasty1521
I would love to see... But "early" does not denote 2009, huh? Either way, I think I am going to buy HP Tuners, a DoD delete kit, and a VVT Truck cam, so I know what is inside there (down the road of course).
I think that may be a good idea.

Originally Posted by pl4yboy
Every GM engine after 2009 that DOESN'T have DoD has LS7 lifters. Just a heads up.
I know, I was only pointing out that 6.2 trucks can have afm lifters. This one shouldn't, but was modded by the previous owner.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS7 lifters are a lot less expensive than I thought they would be, that's for sure. Either way, I hope a new AFM lifter will last until I can get that delete kit. Even though failures seem to be common, they aren't THAT common. I think I shouldn't have any issues. I also think this will fix some small issues that have started to creep up as of late, on top of teaching me EVERYTHING that causes a single cylinder misfire with low-compression.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got ahold of 21st Century Muscle Cars, who did the work on this truck, guy was really cool on the phone and remembered the truck well. The previous owner had a Supercharged 427 in it, and I am guessing they sourced the engine for another project. The engine I currently have is a Crate Motor from Scoggin Dickey, and was a 2011 L99 from a Camaro. This is the reason I have a 6.2L with AFM Lifters...

Went and saw the truck today, looked sad with the cylinder head off the shortblock, but will be fixed today for a lovely fee of $773, to replace one lifter.

My main gripe is that I paid full "Denali with 11,800 miles" price, and got an engine that didn't belong in the truck. My guess is that with the shift points when I first got the truck being almost 6500, this is what damaged it in the first place. They are now at 5800. I was under the impression this truck never had DoD, and as luck would have it, this is the part that bit the dust. I called the dealership I got it from, who told me the original engine was in it, and they are seeing what they can do.

Does anyone think there is any way I could get them to pay for it, or do I have to eat this one?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gnasty1521
I called the dealership I got it from, who told me the original engine was in it, and they are seeing what they can do.

Does anyone think there is any way I could get them to pay for it, or do I have to eat this one?
With the fact that they told you it had the original motor, and you have proof they lied, I'd fight like hell to make them pay. (Not saying high probability of success, but worth a shot.) Good luck!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad I cound this thread. I'm having the sam issues with my 2011 Silvy with 6.2. Via HP Tuners I'm finding that coil #6 is 'misfiring'. Guy I need help, I was under the impression that either the coild works or it doesn't. Here's what happened, day B4 yesterday all was good- jump in the truck yesterday; idles rough, engine light blinking. I flashed back to original tune to rule out anything there, then did a scan and got the misfor message on coil #6.
=But the fact that it happened overnite, coincidence............
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 PM

Yup. If dealership that you bought it from said its the original motor in that vehicle or they didn't disclose the information of it having a different motor in it is first class fraud. I'd fight the hell out of it and get the correct original equipment that's suppose to be in it.

Thing I don't quite understand here is didn't this dealership your truck is currently at kind of have a red flag jump up when they did a GMVIS check to see that the original build of the vehicle showed a motor RPO code without AFM and that they are working on it with an AFM motor in it?! Well all dealers aren't the same so I guess I can't speak on behalf of all of them. Plus even when the tech would do the P&A for parts using the VIN they should have showed non AFM lifters in the electronic parts catalog. Just weird.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys. All is good, I popped the manifold hood to check around under there ans sure enough, the wires to #6 coil were chewed thru, by a mouse I'd guess. Well- after taking half of everything apart I soldered the wires back together and the truck runs as B4. I did the DTC clear technique of disconnecting the battery with the key in ON position.............
Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats, Mark! It's nice to see a problem turn out to be easy every once in a while.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

THanks, Phil. I didn't exactly do this willingly..............