Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Onstar

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
And it's a big deal because it's my truck, not the next guy's and not GM's. It's none of their friggin business what I do with my truck.
I'm pretty sure the next owner would like to know of he's buying a flogged to hell POS...

IMO, we should be able to turn it off, because they're more than capable of shutting down the vehicle at "unsafe" speeds... I know people that have been warned to slow down.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are other ways of finding out the shape of a vehicle, like a thorough mechanical inspection. I don't like the idea of anybody being able to randomly track me without my permission. Yes I know that cell phones have a similar issue, but it's something I've come to terms with to stay easily connected and such. However, there is no advantage for me in my truck reporting my behavior to somebody else. And before you go off thinking I'm just a lawbreaker who doesn't want to get caught, I'm an LEO.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:24 AM
cam
TECH Addict

Just take the OnStar module out. Its behind your radio
Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm an LEO.
Hand salute!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by drperry
I'm pretty sure the next owner would like to know of he's buying a flogged to hell POS...

IMO, we should be able to turn it off, because they're more than capable of shutting down the vehicle at "unsafe" speeds... I know people that have been warned to slow down.
Who do you know that has been warned? Are they a member on here? they "shouldn't" be just watching you randomly saying oh look how fast he is driving!!!!!!!

Maybe if the car has been reported stolen i can see it but i have never heard of someone 1st hand being warned by Onstar. It's always i know someone who...
Old 09-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Phil; likewise

The Corvette guys have gotten calls while on road courses; I'm honestly surprised that I've never gotten a call. I let my subscription run out naturally without cancelling, and I did some crazy stuff before it expired.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Phil; likewise

The Corvette guys have gotten calls while on road courses; I'm honestly surprised that I've never gotten a call. I let my subscription run out naturally without cancelling, and I did some crazy stuff before it expired.
Why wouldn't i have got a call when it was pulling 140 on the dyno?
I have a hard time believing they call you saying to slow down. Id tell them to choke on my #$%^! I really wanna talk with someone who has actually got a call from onstar! I heard when people steal onstar equipped cars they just yank out the mirror and thats why they can't be tracked. So why hasn't anyone just replaced their mirror?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrutalSierra
I have a hard time believing they call you saying to slow down. Id tell them to choke on my #$%^! I really wanna talk with someone who has actually got a call from onstar! I heard when people steal onstar equipped cars they just yank out the mirror and thats why they can't be tracked. So why hasn't anyone just replaced their mirror?
iv seen a youtube video that they were in a ctsv i think it was, but anyways it took off so fast that they thought the car got in a wreck and called them over onstar lol, but thats all i know of
Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by riverrat69
Watched a news clip the other day and they claimed Onstar GPS is still actively tracking you even if you don't subcribe. Taking out the fuse does not disable it. Does any one know how to permantly disable this intrusion? 2010 Sierra 6.2. Thanks
Paying for it or not I like having the feature. If my wife takes my truck for something and I can't get a hold of her on her cell and she has gone missing I like the option if I need it for them to pin point where she is.

Todays world is ruled by electronics, everywhere you go you are being watched if you like it or not. Every building nowadays has a camera or some sort of monitor system. Phones have GPS, credit card trails... it sucks but if someone wants to they can track your every move

Originally Posted by stg313
Why is that such a big deal? They will be able to provide the next owner with service records and up to date information from your vehicle. I think its a good thing that they do that. Unless of course your treating your truck like poop.

Doesnt work.
When the time comes to trade or sell my truck I will like having a mile long record of all the service and work done.
Who do you know that has been warned? Are they a member on here? they "shouldn't" be just watching you randomly saying oh look how fast he is driving!!!!!!!

Maybe if the car has been reported stolen i can see it but i have never heard of someone 1st hand being warned by Onstar. It's always i know someone who...
Never heard of this. If this is true they must not be watching my truck at all. I have buried the needle quite a few times and made many runs down the track with onstar on.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:52 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While your speedo may have read 140, GPS tracking showed your truck not moving at all....

Quick Reply: Onstar