Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Installing Factory navigation in a Non-Bose Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Factory navigation in a Non-Bose Truck

I know there is already post about this but I'm relaying my experience with the install. First there is 2 different kinds of nav units, DVD and non DVD. If you have the DVD nav you must have it programmed to send out a analog volume control instead of a digital. Ill explain, the DVD units send a digital signal to the Bose amp that controls the volume, without a Bose amp you need to have a analog signal. No matter which unit you have you need a external amp to your speakers, If you just have the unit dealer programmed (theft unlock)and no amp you will have a real low volume.
As far as the parts you will need here it goes. I decided to do a whole system while I was doing it. But whatever you do you will need a PAC-1416 (45.00) this is a direct plug and play to turn your speaker wires to RCA's. GM nav ant. (65.00) and a VSS plug that also has a video input for back-up camera(40.00). CPS Audio and Video in California was a huge help with my install. Greg programmed the DVD unit for 100.00 and had all the pieces for the rest of the install as well.
If you just want the nav unit and are not interested in a big stereo than CPS has a plug and play amp kit for 250.00 that will act just like the factory Bose system.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems expensive, seeing as how you can get a Double Din NAV unit for about $500-$600 that works both ways, with much more customizability.

I may be wrong on this point, but are there clear advantages to going your way? I have thought about it.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Well, going with an OEM Nav unit means you don't have a mis-matched, hodge-podge looking dash.

Its just cleaner, worth the expense IMO.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK I can see that. No purist here though. Just picked up a Kenwood 6.1 touchscreen with internal nav for $350. All I need is a PAC OS-4 and it will interface with everything I have (BlueTooth, XM, Steering wheel controls, door chimes and all).

Thanks for the answer.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by two-piece
I know there is already post about this but I'm relaying my experience with the install. First there is 2 different kinds of nav units, DVD and non DVD. If you have the DVD nav you must have it programmed to send out a analog volume control instead of a digital. Ill explain, the DVD units send a digital signal to the Bose amp that controls the volume, without a Bose amp you need to have a analog signal. No matter which unit you have you need a external amp to your speakers, If you just have the unit dealer programmed (theft unlock)and no amp you will have a real low volume.
As far as the parts you will need here it goes. I decided to do a whole system while I was doing it. But whatever you do you will need a PAC-1416 (45.00) this is a direct plug and play to turn your speaker wires to RCA's. GM nav ant. (65.00) and a VSS plug that also has a video input for back-up camera(40.00). CPS Audio and Video in California was a huge help with my install. Greg programmed the DVD unit for 100.00 and had all the pieces for the rest of the install as well.
If you just want the nav unit and are not interested in a big stereo than CPS has a plug and play amp kit for 250.00 that will act just like the factory Bose system.
Thanks for the detailed post as this is on my list of things to do this year.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Like the post above says I wanted a clean factory look. The way the factory unit contours to the dash can't be matched with aftermarket. I understand that most people don't mind it.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nevermind that. I just bought a Denali and it had everything anyway LOL.