Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Ideas for NNBS RCSB??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for NNBS RCSB??

Still trying to figure out what all I want to do with my NNBS RCSB. As many of you know, its the Z71 package, but in 2WD form. I got that originally cause I wanted the larger A/T tires and skid plate package, I need this truck to be functional as well as fun to drive.

Since then I have done the mods listed, but find myself swayed. I had original plans to lift/level the front out with the back and keep some A/T tires on it. I am still considering the leveling, but want to go with a smaller A/T tire with less overall diameter and less weight to hopefully pick up some power. Current tires are 265-70-17's and looking at 265-65-17's--about an 1" shorter overall and about 4#'s lighter each. But that gets me to thinking that leveling the truck out would look stupid, so then I start thinking about just lowering the rear 2" with the use of shackles. My problem is that with my previous truck, it was too low, and with my new job, I have to be able to use this truck to visit jobsites and get it dirty from time to time, so lowering more than 2-3" in the back to level it is outta the question and I'd like to stay with sometype of A/T tire, but thats not terribly aggressive so I can get some better wet traction and MPG along with performance. Was looking at the new Michilin LTX AT2 and Pirelli Scorpion ATR in particular.

I have painted my front bowtie to match, and would like to get some painted door handles, but don't want to take the painted pieces much further than that. I guess leaving the tailgate handles and spoiler black would look OK and possibly getting some painted mirror caps to match.

I think I've got the performance side figured out, just having issues with what to do on the truck appearance and suspension wise.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

lift it, put bigger tires that you like and just change your gears...

you'll have the look you want withou loosing power..
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

what are your gears now? i think your looking for a stance like i had on my 02, 2" drop shackles on the rear for the leveled out stance but not low enough to hinder off road ability, with A/T tires about 29"-30" tall, with 3.73 gears. i liked it alot on that body style, but the nnbs sit a little higher so you should still be ok for what you want. i think i was runnin 285-60-16's about 12" wide and about 30" high. filled the fender wells nicely and flush so they didnt stick out the sides to throw mud all over.just a thought. it may not be what your looking for tho.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

To be real honest I'm not sure what I want. I know I want the leveled out look with just a tad bit of rake with the rear just slightly higher than the front. Height doesn't really matter, I guess I just want the best of both worlds, I mean its just a 2WD so its not going to go mudding or anything like that, but it has to be able to go on jobsites with dust, dirt, rutted up from large equipment and such, but nothing terribly nasty. I want power/performance and off-roadabilityground clearance.

Oh, and I've got 3.73's in the truck stock right now.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you'll find the 2" drop in the back makes a nice difference but really is nothing to worry about as far as clearance. I did the shackles, made it look much nicer.

I did however have a vibe. Looked at my u-joint angles and they seemed excessive but gauge broke, ended up putting in a 2 degree belltech shim to bring the nose of the diff back up and all is well.

That is where I stopped, however I would like to remove the 1" spacer block too. That will change pinion angle again, how much I am not sure. Hoping maybe to ditch the shim too. Right now I have both in there which is not really a good thing, but also don't have time to play. Soon.

Anyway, last pic on my crappy little private page shows the side profile with 2" drop. Might help you decide. It made a noticeable difference for putting things in the bed (yes I haul crap around in my truck!)
Old 07-20-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

i put the 2" shackles in and took out the 1.5" lifting blocks and it leveled out great! i am getting 20" chrome silverado ss wheels put on wednesday, and i will post pictures.

todd
Old 07-20-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VTODD
i put the 2" shackles in and took out the 1.5" lifting blocks and it leveled out great! i am getting 20" chrome silverado ss wheels put on wednesday, and i will post pictures.
todd
Looking forward to pics, any vibes?

Thanks...
Old 07-20-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put some pics with stock wheels and the level kit!!! If you have time...
Old 07-22-2007, 02:07 PM
I Like Gold!!!

i say just put shackle(remove block also)on and the factory 20's w/275/55. Not to small of a tire and would look good also. They come pretty high already.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 AM
JB1
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie
Put some pics with stock wheels and the level kit!!! If you have time...
Heres my 2008 2wd Z71 with the 2" lowering shackles and block removed on factory Z71 18's. It still sits about 1" higher in back but looks much better imo. I have only had it for 5 days so this is all I have had time to do so far but I have more plans in the works.

Quick Reply: Ideas for NNBS RCSB??