cam
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here ya go

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rim-build.html
Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

damn thats a sweet thread. all done looks like with their own skills as well as budget pieces. makes me want to dive into learning more about turbos for my truck on the stock motor with a ls6 cam and beefed up trans
Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 PM
cam
TECH Addict

The trans will be your weak link for certain but if your somewhat handy with a welder you can fab up your own kit emissions friendly on the low buck thats for sure. Those PM turbos are cheap and good. Intercoolers can be had for peanuts on ebay. Get some pipe and elbows and couplers and stuff it in.

The one part of the build ( well maybe two ) that you really should buy the best you can buy if you do a rear mount or midmount whatever you want to call that set up there the oil recovery pump for the turbo is key. Buy the best there.

Otherwise its a fuel system upgrade along with some injectors and a tune and your good to go.

If you shoot for the 400 whp range you'll still hit 12's and probably keep your trans held together for a while with a few small mods. Corvette servo etc. Best of all for a 400 whp goal you just run your stock cam and cats etc so your emission friendly and very civilized driving manners as well.

Its enough to womp 6.2's with ease
Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rather go for that 6.2 engine swap with a 6 speed tranny.. My budget maybe I can thrownabout 3k-4k.. I still owe the truck have mortgage payments :-(.. plus that dude it's in YouTube... That turbo set up has a lot of lag... And he is hitting mid 12's..
Old 02-08-2011, 04:24 PM
cam
TECH Addict

Thats just one of hundreds of boosted 4.8 and 5.3 builds over there. Heck maybe thousands and the lag? its all in how you select the trims and whatnot. Anyways to each his own but your not going to come close to a 6.2/6spd swap for that kind of coin. Double it and you'll be in the ball park

Believe me... Im swapping a 6.2 right now its pricey to do engine swaps properly. You'll need a new PCM and tranny module and wiring harness plus a tune and a fuel system anyways. Not saying it wont be great but its not as easy or cheap as you seem to think. Mind you if you stick with the 4spd then its not really that big of a deal you can re-use your harness and PCM but still need a tune

If lag free is what you want get a maggie

FWIW He ran mid 11's then ran out of fuel control due to the e38 PCM and HpTuners issues
Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True. It is pricey but I have seen the the whole engine tranny and hardness for like 3 k ... I can do the labor. I know someone selling a procharger used for 3500 he has a receipt and everything he had it on for two weeks... Or just find a ly6 and straight swap it and sell the 4.8 and then cam the 6.0... I wouldn't mind camping and turboing the 4.8. Thanks guys for the ideas... Keep giving me ideas bros.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Believe me... Im swapping a 6.2 right now its pricey to do engine swaps properly. You'll need a new PCM and tranny module and wiring harness plus a tune and a fuel system anyways. Not saying it wont be great but its not as easy or cheap as you seem to think. Mind you if you stick with the 4spd then its not really that big of a deal you can re-use your harness and PCM but still need a tune

you dont need a PCM to run a 6.2 in your truck, nor a harness IF you already have a 4.8/5.3
you need a harness ONLY to run a 6L80e in your truck.
you REUSE your PCM, and you do not have to upgrade ANYTHING for the fuel system.

i ran 12.73 @ 104.54 backed up by a 12.74 @ 104.95 with a transmission going out.

my 6.2/6L80e *cam, milled heads, lifters, oil pump, head gaskets, ARP everything, dual springs, pushrods* swap was less than a 72mm front mount turbo set up, gauges, fuel system, injectors, and you can find a LS2 cam *same as a Zo6 cam just a single bolt and more lift if i remember correctly*

Last edited by iamkeniff; 02-08-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silverado1ss89
True. It is pricey but I have seen the the whole engine tranny and hardness for like 3 k ... I can do the labor. I know someone selling a procharger used for 3500 he has a receipt and everything he had it on for two weeks... Or just find a ly6 and straight swap it and sell the 4.8 and then cam the 6.0... I wouldn't mind camping and turboing the 4.8. Thanks guys for the ideas... Keep giving me ideas bros.
For 3k? Where? For 3k I would jump on it.
All the ones I have seen Around here want 4k-5k, some even close to 6k. I live a few miles from L.A. in orange county.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well there was a point when I was Gona sell my truck. But then I decided to keep it. So I never jump on deal for the engine. I was gona get a gto or a corvette ls2. I guess ima have to drive to niff so we can make this engine swap happen lol.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

come see what the truck runs at irwindale this thursday. few of us will be there

Quick Reply: I think I'm over this 4.8