GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

How too clear NNBS GMT900 07-08 Silverado headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
JB1
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How too clear NNBS GMT900 07-08 Silverado headlights

This may not be the only way to clear your lights, some may like the oven method but it didnt work for me and actually melted a light. Therefore, I found this to be the best method for me, and it has worked well for myself and others.

DISCLAIMER >>> I am in no way responsible for anyone that trys this method and scews up their lights...so only do this if your confident....we all have different skill levels that were comfortable with.

The only tools I used is an air cut-off tool with a 3" X 1/16" thick disc, an exacto knife to clean up the edges later, and a screwdriver to pry off the amber sections. The other tools were used for removeal of the light (10mm).

I found it easiest to place the headlight in a box to hold it into position while cutting. You will also need to remove the foam from one side, but take notice of its location because you will reinstall it after your finished.

I like to start with this side, because it has the thinest section as to where to cut and a molded bracket that is kinda in the way.

Just position the light in the box and start cutting approx where I did here, working your way from one end to the next. Caution...do not cut too deep or you will cut into the chrome plastic thats underneath. I just score the plastic with the disc, then slowly work myself down till I cut thru and then stop and move on a few inches. This takes time so be patient.

Once you have that side done, flip the light and do the next side beginning at the corner where you left off.

Then the nest side

Then the next side

Once all sides have been cut, remove the lense from the housing assembly.

Next is to remove the amber lense. The amber lense has two clips at the chrome center and two that are hooked under and glued to the base. The lower two will need the tabs cuttoff but be careful not to damage the chrome or cut too deep.

Next step is to clean the edges. The little pieces just pull off and/or will need slight trimming with the exacto knife.

Take your time cleaning these edges, just like anything else...preparation is everything.

Next you need to blow off any remaining plastic dust/particles etc of both the housing and the lense. Then you need to wipe off any and all fingerprints/residue from both pieces.

I used GE 100% Silicone Glue from Home depot. Its clear and cost about $3.50 a tube which is plently for both lights.

Place a small bead along the housing base cut edge, making sure you dont get too much or it will ooze inside and be visible. After the small bead is apllied, place the lense on top and align the corners. You may need to place something heavy on top while it dries. After 30-60min, place a nice thick bead on the outside to seal out moisture. You can smooth this with your finger so it looks good. This is hidden behind the grille/fender/bumper...only the top can be seen with the hood open if you know what your looking for.

Congrats....you now have a factory cleared headlight

Last edited by JB1; 03-28-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

great write up
Old 03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
JB1
TECH Resident

I hope its understandable...its hard to do the work, then stop and take the proper pics...then come and try to explain it. I have a whole new respect for people that do these tech articles.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

yeah good work....i really should do this i just need to get an extra sets of lights and some free time....
Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dermz28
yeah good work....i really should do this i just need to get an extra sets of lights and some free time....
I really need to get that done to mine
Old 03-23-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

jb didnt u do some black headlight mod or was that someone else