Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Pulling a engine

OK so I just bought my sierra last month
5.3 6L80 3.42 rear 24K on the truck as of writing
Name:  19EE039B-665B-42CD-B447-12714405D82C.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  332.5 KB

next week I'll be pulling the 5.3 to swap in a LY6 and need some tips on removing the motor
Old 08-26-2015, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

24k miles??? Must be nice.... What do you need to know everything is fairly open and straight forward if its your first engine mark everything with masking tape as to where it goes, and pb blaster or wd40 are your friends especially on exhaust bolts.... Pulling radiator and as much from front of engine makes it so you can slide it out without having to lift body..
Old 08-27-2015, 01:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
24k miles??? Must be nice.... What do you need to know everything is fairly open and straight forward if its your first engine mark everything with masking tape as to where it goes, and pb blaster or wd40 are your friends especially on exhaust bolts.... Pulling radiator and as much from front of engine makes it so you can slide it out without having to lift body..
Well the ride is INCREDIBLY STIFF lol

I've done clutch jobs, whole tranny R&R's and even tore down a few LS blocks out of a vehicle but never pulled a motor before and would like to do so without damaging any panels.

My engine looks to be more toward the cab compared to my buddy's CC 08 silverado his looks like it would come straight up out the truck mine looks as though I would need to bring it forward then up, and I really don't wanna pull the radiator unless I have to my truck has efans if that makes a difference.

Also the LY6 is not flex fuel are the injector plugs different if not which injectors are bigger the LY6 or LMG a turbo is in my near future and I haven't read anything conclusive
Old 08-27-2015, 04:04 AM
Launching!

Save yourself alot of time and agravation and pull the radiator. Two bolts up top and its out. Leave fans conneted to radiator to save a little time. Also get yourself a 3' to 4' cheater pipe for the big bolt on center crank pully and pull it first.. I didnt do this at first but ended up sitting the motor back down on the mounts bolting it back up to pull the center pully.. PITA! Also dont try to pull the tranny out with the motor. A second pair of hands works well.. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:57 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

why are you pulling a perfectly good motor especially if going boost
Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Fans come out then the radiator total of 4 bolts... Never get engine out with out doing so, looks are deceiving as far as how far back it sits they should be same.. Injector connectors should be same. As far as boosting it delete dod and then boost it unless you have a complete ly6 just sitting around. As far as pulling engine you may have to twist it a little to get it up and out but that just to make it easier to get it past some stuff.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Fans come out then the radiator total of 4 bolts... Never get engine out with out doing so, looks are deceiving as far as how far back it sits they should be same.. Injector connectors should be same. As far as boosting it delete dod and then boost it unless you have a complete ly6 just sitting around. As far as pulling engine you may have to twist it a little to get it up and out but that just to make it easier to get it past some stuff.
Actually I sold my engine for $1800 and picked up a complete ly6 for $1400 with 75K, I'm shooting for 7-800 RWHP on moderate boost and a small cam.
Thanks for the tip, but someone else mentioned pulling the accessory drive is this necessary?

Originally Posted by George C....
why are you pulling a perfectly good motor especially if going boost
Bigger is better? Lol

Seriously tho better place to start than the 5.3
Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the 5.3 will get the job done for what your goals are
Old 08-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by George C....
the 5.3 will get the job done for what your goals are
It probably would, it was my original plan actually but I threw my motor on Craigslist just as a feeler and I got offered asking price so I'm going with the 6.0
Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah accessories need come off front of engine, along with water pump and crank pulley you can usually snake it out with ac compressor on if you have a way to evac and recharge it, if not pull bolts and drop it down and you will be good... Ive pulled a few of these engines once everything is off of them they slide out it gets tight but thats where the lil bit of sideways twist helps

Quick Reply: Help Pulling a engine