Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Hellwig rear sway bar opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bossho...
the quick simple solution is to have an exhaust shop eliminate the resonator.
did it on mine.[6.2, 3.5 inch piping]

Last edited by Allgonoshow; 04-07-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
bossho...
the quick simple solution is to have an exhaust shop eliminate the resonator.
did it on mine.[6.2, 3.5 inch piping]
I was actually able to make it all work. A member of the GM forum took the time to call my cell live after a PM today and he emailed me 4 pics...despite the fact that he's already traded his SD in...and his pics made the difference. That and me taking charge of reading (actually reading) the directions and walking the mechanic through what to do. $50 of their time, and then I spent about 1.5 hrs in my driveway after adjusting it all and putting on the finishing touches...

Seems to work wonders...I was very impressed with the 4 off and on ramp exercises I did after would.

What does your truck sound like without the resonator on a scale of 1 being stock sound and 10 being Louder?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bosssho
I was actually able to make it all work. A member of the GM forum took the time to call my cell live after a PM today and he emailed me 4 pics...despite the fact that he's already traded his SD in...and his pics made the difference. That and me taking charge of reading (actually reading) the directions and walking the mechanic through what to do. $50 of their time, and then I spent about 1.5 hrs in my driveway after adjusting it all and putting on the finishing touches...

Seems to work wonders...I was very impressed with the 4 off and on ramp exercises I did after would.

What does your truck sound like without the resonator on a scale of 1 being stock sound and 10 being Louder?
Can't give you a report on the exhaust sound as I put headers it at the same time.
Glad you got the sway bar worked out, I think I'll order one

Name:  exhaust005.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  153.0 KB

Name:  exhaust006.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  91.4 KB

That is the inside of the resonator, no baffles/chambers but a sound cancelling port of some type.
Looks like it wouldn't hurt flow much, removing it on otherwise stock exhaust would make a
small difference in sound.
I used pieces of the tail pipe to make an extension to get my exhaust out behind the wheel, sorry for the dirty truck, it was winter.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  133.2 KB

Last edited by Allgonoshow; 04-12-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good post, used for reference for install on my 6.2
Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

for the 6.2l trucks you do not need to remove the resonator to mount it. just dont use the 1/2" spacer on the pass side cut the bolt and it fits fine. im droped 3" tho
Name:  DSC_0440.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  174.3 KB
Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice. Been itching to get a rear kit
Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Talking Here is my setup

I had to grind about a half inch off the left shock tower mount. Now the Gibson duel exhaust is clearing the brackets. It took some adjusting but it clears. It was about a 2 1/2 hr install by myself! It is always good to have the right tools.
Attached Thumbnails Hellwig rear sway bar opinions-hellwig-swaybar-003.jpg   Hellwig rear sway bar opinions-hellwig-swaybar-015.jpg   Hellwig rear sway bar opinions-hellwig-swaybar-018.jpg   Hellwig rear sway bar opinions-hellwig-swaybar-002.jpg   Hellwig rear sway bar opinions-hellwig-swaybar-025.jpg  

Last edited by WingnutLT; 01-30-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Sorry for digging up an old thread but how did the nnbs Sierra Denali guys make out in the long run with these bars? What are the exact part numbers everyone is using? Seems like some searches on the manufacturer sites like Hellwig and Belltech are they have nothing that fits my vehicle?

Side note, to the fella who removed the resonator, any before and after clips of sound difference?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

I loved my hellwig rear sway bar on my 2011 AWD sierra denali! made a huge difference, even when towing it helped a ton. I am going to mine up for sale soon though as i just lifted my truck so i don't have it on anymore. Sorry i don't remember the part number either.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Not helpful for your specific question but I've run Hellwig and AddCo rear bars on GMT400's, and I preferred the Hellwig as the install hardware/brackets seem to be better quality, also in my application the AddCo required four 3/8" holes to be drilled in the frame, Hellwig required none.

As another nod to Hellwig, after many years and lots of abuse, some of the end link bushings finally gave up. They weren't standard size so that I could just go down and buy the generic poly end link kit available everywhere, so I called Hellwig and although my bar was discontinued/superceded with a new model, the tech looked up my old part # and sent me new bushings - actually a whole new hardware kit (end links, frame bushings, etc.) - for free! Can't beat that service. I'm not saying this is their standard practice but I fully expected to pay as I'd got my money's worth and more out of the originals.

Richard

Quick Reply: Hellwig rear sway bar opinions