GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

GMT900 Rusted rockers

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 09:17 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default GMT900 Rusted rockers

Anyone else have the pleasures of replacing there rockers on such a new vehicle?

If so, where did you get your replacement rockers from?

Here's the drivers side, covers a good 12 to 14" passenger side isn't as bad but, it's there. It's an 07 Tahoe PPV originally from Raleigh and we have been on the coast for 5 years. Living in Boston for the majority I have never dealt with rust on any of my vehicles like this. Just looking for good quality replacements.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,174 Likes on 894 Posts

I believe you can get some replacement rockers that are good from LMC truck
The following users liked this post:
Tig (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Do you want to drill out the spot welds and replace the entire rocker, or do you want to just graft in the section that is damaged?

I was on google looking for you, and I didn't find any OEM ones, but lots of companies make replacement rockers. Mostly 20ga or unlisted gauge. The factory stuff is probably 18-16ga

I've done this on my truck and it was actually easy. Cordless sawzall at the yard, and then a spot weld cutter at home. I think I paid $23 for the rocker section. Note, this is because I crushed mine, not rusted it away.

Use .023 wire, C25 gas and clean the metal front and back until it's shiny at the weld joints

I don't have any GMT900's in my yard, but if some pop up I dont mind cutting you a rocker from the land of no rust New Mexico
The following 2 users liked this post by arthursc2:
dantheman1540 (10-15-2021), Tig (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 11:13 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shakenfake
Ahh very cool. I'll check them out, Thanks

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Do you want to drill out the spot welds and replace the entire rocker, or do you want to just graft in the section that is damaged?

I was on google looking for you, and I didn't find any OEM ones, but lots of companies make replacement rockers. Mostly 20ga or unlisted gauge. The factory stuff is probably 18-16ga

I've done this on my truck and it was actually easy. Cordless sawzall at the yard, and then a spot weld cutter at home. I think I paid $23 for the rocker section. Note, this is because I crushed mine, not rusted it away.

Use .023 wire, C25 gas and clean the metal front and back until it's shiny at the weld joints

I don't have any GMT900's in my yard, but if some pop up I dont mind cutting you a rocker from the land of no rust New Mexico
You are a lucky man living in the land of no rust haha.

I was not expecting to see this when I opened the door. Its just a weird place for it behind the seal and coming from the inside.

Same here, couldn't find any OEM but found a few random ones but, honestly cant say I trust them. I'd definitely prefer factory and I don't think I need to replace the entire rocker. Of course that may change when I open it up and see how bad it is.

Thanks for the tip, I am familiar with welding and the process hence my name I do appreciate it though.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Oh I can more in depth with the welding if you want
Tig (10-15-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 07:55 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shakenfake
They have the driver's side but are out of stock of the passenger with no eta in sight.

No yards around me have a gmt900 Tahoe. The only places that have them are across the country and if they do, they do not cut and ship.

I'll order the drivers from LMC and see how thick the material is and go from there. Otherwise, I'll just make some.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tig
Here's the drivers side, covers a good 12 to 14" passenger side isn't as bad but, it's there. It's an 07 Tahoe PPV originally from Raleigh and we have been on the coast for 5 years. Living in Boston for the majority I have never dealt with rust on any of my vehicles like this. Just looking for good quality replacements.
These parts may be available on GMPartsDirect's website, the part numbers at least. Under the Body section, look in uniside and floor and rails for starters.
Tig (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 04:45 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by swathdiver
These parts may be available on GMPartsDirect's website, the part numbers at least. Under the Body section, look in uniside and floor and rails for starters.

Appreciate the info swath, I had emailed just about every GM online provider using my vin and only one had a rocker but, it was the entire door frame as well haha. And it was almost 900 not including shipping.
Not one online source had them, which drives me nuts. Am I the only one with rusty rockers in a gmt900 platform?
Old 12-07-2021, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tig
Appreciate the info swath, I had emailed just about every GM online provider using my vin and only one had a rocker but, it was the entire door frame as well haha. And it was almost 900 not including shipping.
Not one online source had them, which drives me nuts. Am I the only one with rusty rockers in a gmt900 platform?
Doubt it, you might be the first to want to fix them! Directly above that, my drip rails are rusted through for about three inches. Need to cut out the cancer, paint it and put in the new drip weatherstrips on both sides.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,174 Likes on 894 Posts

Sell it and get back in a GMT-800 or K2XX much better paltforms

Quick Reply: GMT900 Rusted rockers