Old 01-15-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updates???

Waiting with anticipation!!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, my latest update is kind of embarassing, I left a ring one of the four rings out that make up the oil ring set. The very bottom ring is a special ring that should come from your piston builder if you buy stroker pistons that have cut into the oil ring groove for the piston pin location. This special ring has s dimple on it that locates toward the bottom side of the piston and is supposed to be positioned in the middle of the oil ring groove cut-out. It took half of the day to tear it down to the shortblock and pull all the pistons and rods out to put the ring in. Its back together to the point it was on my last post and now ready to go in the truck if the weather holds out.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont feel bad.. The last engine i built was a 406 Gen 1 SBC.. Last piston on friday before the engine install party (gotta have friends over to hear it run) and i had a top ring pop out of the compressor and dig a gouge out of the piston.. Was late, i was tired, wasnt paying attention.. It happens.. Luckily i had access to another piston, got that on the following monday and was good to go.. No matter how many times you go down a road, you always find the pothole once or twice.. Just be glad you caught it....
Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

O god yes. Do so ******* want a 408/80e combo.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Started tearing the 4.8L engine out today. Do those clowns at GM build these things to come out of the truck? All I have left to do is pull the engine mount bolts and out she comes. Only worked about 5 hours tearing it down. Only obstacle was getting to the bellhousing bolts, lowered the transmission to reach the bolts. While removing the exhaust crossover the driver side had one stud stip out and another bolt was impossible to get to, I had to use a 15mm stubby wrench and pry bar to break it loose. I went ahead and pulled the ypipe totally out of the way to give me more room to work. Trying to decide if I put the 80e in right away or break the engine in with the 60e and stock stall. That might be easier on the engine.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally got the 4.8L out. Had to remove the harmonic balancer, the length of the engine with the balancer on is exactly the same distance from the core support to the firewall. Taking the exhaust manifolds off before removing the engine is highly recommended. You have to lift the engine up about a foot to get access to all the bolts holding the a/c compressor in place, remove the a/c mounting bracket from the block while you're at it since it hangs out just about as far as the balancer. Got all this done yesterday. It rained all day here so no progress today. I have 5 clear days ahead so progress is going to go well, but slow, over the next days.

The hood does not have a service position but you can remove the bolts that hold the hinge on and prop it up to the service position, no need to remove the hood. Don't try to loosen the nuts on the hinge, they're welded to the hinge, found out the hard way.

Last edited by Red Heartbeat; 01-23-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:14 AM
Launching!

Glad to hear the your progress, Greg. How are you gonna control that 80e? Ive heard of a few guys having problems with getting the speedo to work right, and some problems with cruise control in the nnbs.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a TCM that is programmed for the 80e ready to go in once the 80e is in the truck. If that doesn't work I'll use the 60e PCM to control it with a little fennagling. Worst comes to worst I'll put the Transgo level 3 full manual valve body in it and get me a floor shifter to row it through the gears. I'm one never afraid of failure.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM
8 Second Club

^^^^it is totally posible to have a 80e in a nnbs....its either that or the express van that came with one...

ive done it on a customers truck and has worked flawless, with no isues....you also have to repin the pcm to get the ISS hooked up...but sometimes if it dont work, u have to get someone in the DEALER to flash a vin number fom one that came with an 80e... then all u have to do is read th file and save it as a diff name and then u can upload it back on it..

Flaco
Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, a friend at a GM dealer flashed the 80e TCM for me. I figured I'd pull the two wires not being used to control the 80e and tie them to the ISS sensor and then pull the other end of the wires at the TCM and plug them where the diagram shows they should be. Viola, no exposed wiring showing the modification other than down at the transmission connector!

Quick Reply: GMT900 408/80e conversion