PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/)
-   -   Front Diff Removal, 4x4 engagement issues (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/front-diff-removal-4x4-engagement-issues-551392/)

Idryfly5 01-05-2018 08:51 AM

Front Diff Removal, 4x4 engagement issues

Is this as simple as it looks? Unbolt the axle flanges, un hook electrical connections and vent tube, unbolt drive shaft, unbolt diff and lower?

Reason being, I must've muffed something up when installing the passenger side axle tube assembly when I changed the axle seal, so I'm just going to drop the entire assembly to make sure it is aligned when I re-install it. I get zero engagement when turning the knob. I can hear the actuator when it goes to engage, and the knob lights like it is engaged. No weird noises, just still 2wd.

Atomic 01-05-2018 09:10 AM

Pretty much! You may need to turn the steering wheel left or right to clear the centerlink though.

2002_Z28_Six_Speed 01-05-2018 12:41 PM

I usually have to pop the steering link off to get the axle in and out. Only takes seconds with the right removal tool.

I also undo the top bolt on the diff and loosen the bottom but leave it in. Let the unit swing down closer to the floor. Then grab the diff and take out the bottom bolt. Works like a charm. Don't have to lift it as high.

FFDP 01-05-2018 05:19 PM

If the truck in his sig is the one he is working with he doesn't have much of an issue with steering links.

Just unbolt the power steering rack on the GMT-900's and lower it down so it can hang. Remove the cross beam frame support under the oil pan, it's just 4 bolts. Swing it towards the passenger side when you pull it out and it drops right down.

1CAMWNDR 01-05-2018 07:56 PM

Yep, no upper and lower housing bolts on GMT900s. Just the 4 outer tube bolts. I didn't even mess with my steering linkages, used a jack to help me wiggle and angle it out and in.

Idryfly5 01-10-2018 08:29 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Going to drop it tonight while the weather is somewhat decent and see whats going on. Hopefully something simple. :burnout:

Idryfly5 01-22-2018 10:21 AM

So, if anyone is planning on doing this, I suggest dropping the front crossmember. Just 4 bolts/nuts and the diff comes out so easy. Also, if you have to change axle seals, drop the diff. It will save so much time and frustration being able to do it on a bench and not under the truck.

swathdiver 01-22-2018 04:30 PM

So is it working now?

Idryfly5 01-23-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by swathdiver (Post 5429604)
So is it working now?

Yep. When I pulled it apart, there was a washer that had fallen off of the shaft when I removed the axle tube. It was laying there staring at me when I opened it up. :bang: